Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
led_zep_rules

Reminder: SE WI swap Sat. May 20th 2-4 pm

led_zep_rules
17 years ago

Hi, as a reminder and so you don't have to wade through the old thread, I am reposting the relevant data in a new thread. Our plant swap will be next Saturday 5/20 at 1115 43rd St. Caledonia, WI 53108. (my house, big yard, indoor space available in case of bad weather, etc.) Invite other gardeners that you know.

Easy exit off 7 Mile Rd. or Hwy G from I-94. If coming from 7 Mile Rd. (closest and easiest) when you get to the stop sign after the offramp, go 1 mile west (turn right if coming from Milwaukee, left if coming from the south.) Then turn left (south) onto 43rd St. and we are the second house on the right, in all the trees. (Says 1120 on mailbox, don't be confused.) If you get to 6 1/2 Mile Rd. you passed us. Yes, there are only 2 houses on my side of the road in half a mile, that should give you a hint of the low traffic and ease of finding.

Only 21 minutes from State Fair Park if you are going to the plant sale earlier in the day. We will swap plants from 2-4 p.m., and potluck after that. Potlucking is optional. I will have water, soda, and even beer (it is Wisconsin) but no diet soda. Hot cocoa mix available if it is chilly!

Numerous persons in the old thread said they would come, I hope they meant it. I emailed over a dozen people in the roll call thread and sent the info to some other people and Milwaukee Freecycle Cafe. So there should be some folks, but I don't know how many.

Hoping to see you next Saturday, please post if you are coming and maybe what plants you think you are bringing?

Marcia

Comments (6)

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

I'll be bringing a few tomato plants, canna bulbs, calla lilly bulbs, various seeds, a rose bush, a few perennial flowers like blue star, yellow yarrow, lilly, and a few others I forgot the names of, maybe yellow and brown iris, chips and salsa.
    Will be looking for a few ground cover and 12"-18" high perennial flowers.

Rich

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

I'll be there.

I will bring (I think): Green hosta, lime green hosta, green with white outline hosta, white and pink bleeding hearts, seeds. Possibly some ferns. I'm a new gardener so my stuff is limited, but hopefully someone will want something I bring.

• led_zep_rules
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Sandibluffs sent email and said she's be there and was interested in some of my plants. Great! Thought I would throw in this instruction I borrowed directly from her SW WI swap posting:

*Bring: live plants- labeled, labeled seeds, garden related items, boxes to carrry your items home in*

I actually have a lot of boxes to spare, so don't worry if you don't have any. Good to transport plants in boxes to limit their tipping and messiness.

Rich, I have 4 types of groundcovers I can offer up. I am hoping to trade with someone to obtain creeping phlox, if anyone has any of that to spare. I particularly want purple or pink. I will also offer columbine, ferns, black-eyed susans, evening primrose, lily of the valley, daylilies, and a variety of bushes maybe including some lilacs, plus seeds of many things including wisteria. Haven't dug much up lately since it keeps raining and raining. Will spend tomorrow potting things up and making seed packs.

Marcia

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

OK Marcia I'll check out the groundcover. I think I can find some purple creeping flox. I do have seedum in a rock wall that I am bringing along. I can bring more if you need that. I have one tall and spreading daisy type bush that grows about 5'-6' high, but I can't identify it. I sure wish I knew what people wanted so I could decide what to focus on. Right now I have about 20 pots I'm bringing, plus bulbs and seeds, even an indoor plant or two. Yes, digging in mud isn't fun, but helps weed pulling!

Jenwestie, I think something went wrong with a few of my Hostas so I'll be looking forward to trading with you.

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Hi All:

I am looking forward to meeting all of you! I was going to divide on Saturday morning, wrap all the roots, in moist newspaper and place in a grocery bag. Is this not an acceptable way to trade plants. I need to go buy some pots if that's the case.

Thanks.

• led_zep_rules
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, I was potting stuff up today and wondering the same thing, is everybody bringing stuff in actual pots? I have a lot of pots, the problem for me is filling them in with dirt. Hate to leave big holes all over where I dig the stuff up from, but plants in pots need dirt. So I was thinking about the plastic grocery bag route myself, although so far I have filled lots of pots. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay to use bags. I certainly don't think anyone should have to run out and buy pots! Lots of people have given me their old pots (and all sorts of old junk, I am a saver) that is why I have them. Just be sure you label the containers whatever they are, so the people you swap with will know what they have later.

FREE DOOR PRIZES :-) Everyone who comes can have a free white dahlia. Flowers are reported to be the size of a large plate. My father-in-law sent me boxes of them for the plant swap. I am authorized to get hostas and other perennials in exchange for some, but mainly he wants to give the dahlias a new home. Each one is actually a cluster and could be subdivided further.

Marcia

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting