Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

My Lilies are goners - What did you lose to the frost?

mandolls
13 years ago

I havent gotten up the nerve to go out and take a close look in my garden yet this morning, but looking out the window at 6 AM the Asiatic Lillies look bad. They are about 16 " tall (maybe a foot taller than this time last year) But now they are dark green and droopy !

I should have laid out tarps, but I thought any perennials would make it. Everything in the big shade garden in the back looks ok (from here) and even the Clematis seems fine

Luckily I hadnt set out any annuals or vegetables yet, and I managed to bring in all the pots that were out side.

I am in Menomonie - I suspect some of you had it even colder.

Comments (7)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Clematis can take light frosts like the one we had last night. Some of the blooms might look odd, though.

Sorry about your lilies. Mine look ok, but they are only 2-3 inches tall.

I covered everything I could within reason. Peppers and tomatoes, parsley and hosta. I also drapped the currant bushes, but I don't know if that was necessary. I ran out of pots and tarps or I would have covered the whole garden. I hope this doesn't happen again next weekend.

• Tiffany Marshall
    13 years ago

I have my annuals covered. Nothing else seems to be affected as of yet. I am wondering if we even had a frost down this way. Didn't see any indication when I got up. It is at least 45 degrees now. My wisteria doesn't look bad either, but I didn't get a close look yet. I may not uncover the annuals until tomorrow. Hope them being covered all day doesn't harm them.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Airport showing 32F here, while i showed 29F. Had a thin layer of ice on the bird bath. Not any damage i can tell of, but i covered everything i could.

One lesson i learned again is to not put out tomatoes so early. Mine looked perfect in the greenhouse, and after putting them out 2 weeks ago, they look horrible. Another lesson is to buy a huge hoophouse and grow under plastic! Screw frost/rain/disease/insects. I keep tropicals in my unheated greenhouse and they have done great

The wx outlook looks very bad, with cool temps and lots of rain/clouds this week. Warmth is not coming anytime soon (7-10 days) to the state of Wisconsin :(

• mudman93
    13 years ago

My apricots are goners, but my apples and pears seem fine. I don't put tomatoes out early anymore because in my experience even if you put them out late they seem to catch up to the early ones once the weather warms up.

• franked1
    13 years ago

Brown Co. Spinach peas beets carrots lettuce onions--Ok Potatoes are black. Corn just peeking out-believe it's OK Frank

• sconnielill
    13 years ago

I threw a big comforter over my strawberry patch and covered up my green beans, put some popcorn bowls over the pumpkins and brought everything else in.

Then I went to see a late showing of Ironman 2. When we got out of the theater after midnight, we checked the weather - it was only 42 degrees. I don't think I got any frost.

all that work for nothing. Gah.

• jungseed
    13 years ago

sconnielill - thanks for doing all that work for nothing - if you had not done it, I would have gotten another frost at my house.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional