Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aphrodite_gw

Johnson Blue Geranium

aphrodite
17 years ago

Do any of you have this geranium? I have had it for several years and have moved it all over the yard trying to find a spot it wouldn't get leggy and fall over. Maybe this is just the habit of this plant. Whatever, I think I am digging it up and getting rid of it.

If someone has advise on this messy looking plant please post.

Shirley

Comments (5)

• putzer
    17 years ago

I found this on the net:

"Some varieties of hardy geranium have the habit of growing tall and leggy by midsummer, such as ÂJohnson Blue, ÂPatricia, ÂRozanne and ÂAnn Folkard. Gardeners who grow these taller varieties report that rather than staking them, they shear these tall plants to the ground in midsummer after they bloom. With a little extra water, the plants will regrow new leaves quickly and bloom again."

See link for full article.

And if you are still not loving it, throw it my way please! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Geraniums

• aphrodite
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is a good article. Mine is just starting to blossom but is already laying all over everything around it. Its just not tidy like the others. I think its coming out!

I am involved in alot of downtown planting and we have an area next to a building that we call our "put and take garden". The city filled the bed with composted soil for us and we use it just as it sounds for our parking lot planting, etc. Maybe it will look better somewhere else.

Shirley

• tufameister
    17 years ago

I finally yanked mine out because it was getting so invasive. And any little speck of root that I didn't get out is now growing. Back when it 'behaved' I did cut mine down after blooming and it looked neater and did rebloom.

• cheerpeople
    17 years ago

Shirley,
    I suppose by now you've either yanked it or decided to live with it!
    It is a flopper. I moved mine back by another called 'buxton blue' and btw i think they are the same plant with 2 different names. I'm sorry they are not blue! Had I known about the flop and the purple color I would not have bought them.
    The two flop over between 2 taller perrenials (both types of iris) which hold them up a bit- As soon as they are done I cut them back to 6 inches and let other things have the room. They do put on a smaller show later.
    Little tip__ The color of bloom perfectly match the variagated tall bearded iris they are planted with and the var. iris leaves put on enough of a show on their own...

Karen

• aphrodite
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen,

Yes, I yanked it out and threw it in the woods. I have moved it everywhere possible and it is still a messy plant. Pretty radical for me! I save everything.

Shirley

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting