Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puffysmom

honeysuckle? Help

puffysmom
14 years ago

When growing up we had right outside the door several bushes that got yellow flowers and it smelled delicious. We called them honeysuckles. I look it up online and cannot find this plant. They have honeysuckles but not what we grew. I also looked up cinnamon bush. No luck. Any idea how we can get one and what it is called. Anyone else remember this bush?

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Forsythia?

tj

• milwdave
    14 years ago

I assume this was in Wisconsin? Anything else that you remember about it? When did it flower? A pic would help. There just aren't that many shrubs that produce yellow flowers...let alone, fragrant ones.

The only thing I can come up with would be a shrub rose. But you'd have remembered the thorns, I'm sure. Forsythia is another option...early spring blooms but no scent that I can discern. Potentilla perhaps, but again, no scent to me.
    Cornus mas (Cornelian cherry), a dogwood, but again not sure about scent.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• puffysmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for trying to help. My brother has one and it just does not get new shoots. Prob cause it is in the shade. He does not know what it is called. It bloomed in summer. that much i remember. It was so strongly scented that u did not have to get close to enjoy it. I might see if i can get a branch end and try to start one up. Not sure it will take but worth a try.
    Yes i am in Wis. The farm i grew up on has been changed. House torn down and the bushes r gone. It must have been something that just did not make it through the years. My son said he remembered them growing along the road. I dont remember that. Nowadays they mow the tall weeds/grass/flowers down so it might have killed them all off. What a shame.

• putzer
    14 years ago

Maybe Lonicera fragrantissima? It says white flowers, but if you look at the pictures, they vary and dip into the yellow shades. Or I would guess mock orange based on your remembrance of the fragrance?

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

I have a large shrub (small tree) that gets yellow fragrant flowers on it. It is a honeysuckle. Not sure what kind. I didn't know what it was until I visited Foxfire Gardens last weekend and they had one, but theirs bloomed in pink. It's gets small berries on it after while that the bird eat.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Hey, you made it to FoxFire!

What did you think?

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

I loved it, and I will be back probably very soon. My mom has some time off of work, so I told her I would take her there now that I know where it is.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I want to go again, but there never seems to be enough time.

Did you notice if he has minis for sale now? Last time I was there, they were just starting to grow them and had a bed of minis but not much for sale.

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

Yes, they have a whole section of minis. He has a separate price list for them, which I have. I can scan it and send it to you if you want. I'd love to have your list for all the nurseries in WI!

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I'd love to have the list. Thanks.

I will email the WI nursery list to you. I found the list on the internet, so I don't know how complete it is, or up to date the list is, so I'd recommend calling before you go.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm