Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bristlingacres_gw

Is it time to plant beans? (or what have you planted)

bristlingacres
15 years ago

It's been rather cool out and I'm wondering if it's okay to plant pole beans and soy beans. Sadly, I don't have a soil thermometer and I thought that beans need the soil temp to be at least 50F, right? I've got raised beds.

I'm also wondering if it's safe to plant my tomato and pepper plants. My cool weather veggies are doing great!

Thanks for any input.

Astrid

Comments (6)

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Hard to say. Looking at the 10 day forecast for my area on weather.com it appears the cold weather is finally over and nights will be in the 50s and days in the 70s so based upon that I would say it is now planting time.

Of course frost has threatened a couple days ago so...

I planted some bean seeds a week ago and nothing is up yet (also in raised beds). I bet they rotted, but not sure.

I am afraid to put much in the ground with how fickle the weather has been, but in a typical year June 1st in SE Wisconsin is safe for putting the warm season plants out.

Anyway, I will be putting the tomatos and peppers out this weekend. Supposedly storms are moving in tonite and tomorrow so I will let those pass before my babies go outside.

• led_zep_rules
    15 years ago

Astrid, you are in SW WI and I am SE WI so we have different weather somewhat. But I planted my wax beans on May 6th, and they have been up for maybe 2 weeks. They all came up, it was my own seed that I had saved. I soaked it first and think that helped. I planted purchased pole beans on May 17th and there is no sign of them yet.

I started planting tomatoes on the 23rd, and planted the peppers, eggplants, and the rest of the tomatoes on the 25th. I covered some of them up when it was really chilly a few nights ago. I don't like to wait, if something happens to them I can always plant more.

Marcia

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Ye, it is time to plant beans. I got three tomatoe plants and 3 pepper plants today and will plant them tomorrow. Supposed to be overcast and chance of rain. Perfect planting weather. My veggie bed is a now vacated part of a shrub and perennial bed along side of my garage, so I am limited. I had to kill off a rampant suckering shrub that was taking over everything. I'm mad at my landscaper for planting that in the first place! Oh sorry to go on a rant. Hey, its nearly June. Everything should go in now.
    Pondy

• foxglove44
    15 years ago

Thanks for this thread! We moved here last summer and
    this is my first year gardening in Wi. I am excited to get my beans out in the garden this weekend!

• led_zep_rules
    15 years ago

So of course as soon as I said my pole beans hadn't come up yet, they did in fact come up literally within hours of my post! I was a bit confused today because I have nothing left that needs to be planted except a few gladiolas. Just weeding, weeding, and more weeding. I have a few flowers to plant at our rental property elsewhere but my gardens are all in. Hopefully I will be organized enough to do the succession planting for salad items that I always mean to do but rarely accomplish. And to keep up with the darn weeding!

Marcia

• bristlingacres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Too funny.... On Friday morning it was so cold in the house that I built a fire in our woodstove (at the end of May!). Then it FINALLY warmed up. Even though it's a sunny day (not the best for transplanting) I'm going to plant the veggie garden during my dds' nap time. I have to get it done while I can have my hands free!

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that this year the cold spring lasted longer than normal.
    Astrid

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County