Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Butterfly Bush dead?

Posted by bristlingacres SW WI (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 08 at 9:03

On a whim last year I planted a butterfly bush in a protected SW corner of my house. While the rest of my shrubs are coming alive and showing signs of coming back the butterfly bush seems to be dead. How can I be sure? I'm ready to yank it out.

I didn't do anything last winter to protect it. Is there something I should do to protect future butterfly bushes (or shrubs that aren't quite hardy enough)?
Thanks.
Astrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Butterfly Bush dead?

Astrid,
Give it some more time. Mine still look dead also (I am in Franklin). I planted mine 2 years ago and last year in spring I thought the same thing. My husband told me to give them more time (I planted about 5 of them). They all came back beautifully!! So I would wait a bit longer- maybe end of May or beginning of June to see what happens. I did some research online and this is what I found:

"A note if you've never grown butterfly bushes:
They look dead first thing in the spring and some branches die, but wait until May and June to see how it's done over the winter. If there are some dead branches, simply trim them off. In climates like Michigan and other Midwestern states it dies back, and growth only comes from the new wood, so you will have pruning to do in the spring."

I hope this helps,
Julie

o

Julie is right. Here, they act more like herbaceous perennials than shrubs. They do tend to die back to the ground level. For future reference, when planting, plant about an inch or two deeper than they were in the pot. This protects a little section of the stems and they tend to break from those if they lose ALL of their top growth.

Dave
Franklin, also.;)

o

So, as of yesterday I have ONE green leaf on my butterfly bush. I can't tell if that means it'll come back or if I need to toss it out.
Thoughts?
Astrid

o

Green=alive. If it were me I would give it more time. Weather has been cool, but supposedly warm weather is now upon us so the wait shouldn't be too much longer.

o

I think our Butterfly Bush is no more.... Was trimmed to the ground around May I believe....and since have seen no signs of life. Should I just go buy another? Is this one dead?

o

I have a 2 year Fothergilla Major Mt Airy shrub that just now started showing signs of life, and I trimmed it back after the winter months. I'd give it just a little more time. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here