Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jungseed

The taste and smell of spring

jungseed
14 years ago

I had rhubarb pie on Mother's Day. Had asparagus on both Sunday amd Monday night. Those are two foods that really mean spring is here for me.

I brought some lilacs into work on Tues. morning. Replaced them this morning with a new batch. They smell so nice after a winter of closed windows. Even if it's not warm enough to throw open the windows and doors, lilacs seem to be able to bring spring inside for me.

What gives you that "spring" boost?

Comments (11)

• elvis
    14 years ago

The flowering spring bulbs--right now I've got tulips, scilla, Star of Bethlehem, grape hyacinth, forget-me-nots, wild anemone,Virginia bluebells. It's wonderful to wander around the yard after work and see what's new today~~

• elvis
    14 years ago

The flowering spring bulbs--right now I've got tulips, scilla, Star of Bethlehem, grape hyacinth, forget-me-nots, wild anemone,Virginia bluebells. It's wonderful to wander around the yard after work and see what's new today~~

• madisonkathy
    14 years ago

What a nice thread, jungseed! When I start to see anything green, my spring gardening fever kicks in...the tips of daffs and irises, scilla starting, pachysandra peeking out from under the snow.

Of course, the greenhouse "blooming" in WalMart's parking lot is always a first sign of spring.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Watching the clematis buds swell.

That moment... when you have been so busy you didn't notice the leaves on the trees have exploded, and you see the intense green against the bright blue sky instead of all gray.

This morning, as I was leaving for work, I was hit with a warm/cool-clean-after-the-rain-sweet-smelling breeze.

• dani_plus_2
    14 years ago

Ah, Spring! The leaves on the lilacs not open one day, and the next they've exploded. The "smell" of dirt and flowering trees in the air. The hostas poking up. All the beautiful bulbs.

And then there's that whole mowing the lawn thing. :o)

• jungseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohhhh, not mowing the lawn!!! My OCD lawn boy (aka DH) was at it again last night.
    I brought apple blossoms in to work today. My tree doesn't need them. 20 years ago when we moved there we said we were going to have to cut that apple tree down. It was dying. Now you can see right through the middle of the trunk. But wow does it put out the blossoms. They smell very nice here on my desk.

• luvtosharedivs
    14 years ago

Dandelions galore!!!
    I have such huge expanses of lawn, that I can't afford to treat for D-lions, except for the back yard where we occasionally hold family functions.

Elvis, I'd watch that Star of Bethlehem, so that it doesn't invade everything in its path.
    My Garlic Mustard has accomplished a massive invasion of my East woods...so bad that I had to bring out a sprayer tank and attack w/Round-Up.

I love my Daffodils, esp. the late blooming ones, Darwin Tulips (good for many years), species Tulips - so cute & short, Muscari, Redbud trees, Serviceberry, Lilacs, Ornamental Plum trees (very fragrant!), mail order boxes arriving, and lawn mowing that has to be put off until the torential rains stop....weeding, edging, picking up windfalls...forget the housecleaning for a while...DUST IS A COUNTRY ACCENT!!!:)))

Julie;)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

Julie, the dandelions are in full bloom here too! LOL! I swear, they're the first ones to bloom in Spring.
    I love looking at all the trees that flower. At Whitnall Park by the gardens, the crabapple trees look like small clouds. Just wish they would last longer.
    It's so nice to be able to open the windows...even if it's just for a few hours.

Kat

• jungseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tell people that the dandelions are what makes my yard a "Green Bay Packer yard". There is no way I could afford enough stuff to get rid of them on all of the lawn.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

Jungseed, that is good! LOL!! I have a soft spot for dandelions. I had named one of my ferrets Dandelion and called him Dandy for short. He got that name because he got into everything...just like a weed. :)

Kat

• jungseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love it Kat. Now you already know the name of my next pet. If the groundhog is still around at the lodge, that will be his name. He is the only critter we have without a name. thanks for the idea.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths