Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shooting stars at Devils Lake

Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 9:34

On 5-15 I was at Devils Lake State Park, with my wife and dog, and we decided to walk the East Bluff Trail, up to the overlook. Along the way, on top of the bluff, where the trail is mostly level, I saw many shooting stars, leafed out, and just beginning to bloom. They were growing right along the trail, where there had been some brush clearing done. I used to think of these as rare, but there must have been 100 or so near the trail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shooting stars at Devils Lake

Wow, been years since I was at Devil's Lake. Thanks for the info.

tj

o
RE: Shooting stars at Devils Lake

40 yrs ago, when I lived in Watertown, we used to go to Devils Lake fairly often. It an amazing spot for unusual plants and animals. Like its' own ecosystem. Rattlesnakes used to live there, along with some desert plants.
Ask the ranger if you could collect some flower heads (full of seeds) from the shooting stars. If yes, plant in very sandy soil, as they want lots of drainage.
Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here