Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learningasigo

Weigelas

learningasigo
17 years ago

Can anyone give me some advice about Weigelas? I bought a couple Wine & Roses the other day. I haven't even planted them yet. Already they don't look so great. Someone at work told me that they don't grow well in our area (SE WI). Is that true? Is there anything I should know about them? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• pkton
    17 years ago

I don't know about giving advice but I can tell you I have had several Weigelas for probably 10 years here in Janesville. They are doing fine although they aren't the fastest growers (which is fine in my book!). My advice would be to contact a nearby nursery and ask for help if you didn't buy them from one. Good luck they are beautiful bushes!
    Paula

• learningasigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, that's a good idea. I think I will call a local nursery and ask them. I bought them at Home Depot. I didn't plant them yet because I wondered if I should return them. I've never returned plants before but I don't want to waste money on plants (3) that won't grow well here. If I had bought them at a local nursery I wouldn't even question their hardiness for this area. Thanks. Oh, I live in Burlington....not too far from you.

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

Keep them! I have Red Prince and one other type, but both types do very well here. I'm in Waukesha.
    The Red Prince are in mostly sun, the pink are in mostly shade. Both seem to thrive. Some years they'll keep blooming all year if the weather stays cool, otherwise they'll bloom spring and fall.

I didn't baby them at all when I planted. Didn't amend the soil. But I recommend getting rooting hormone (Miracle Grow Quick Start)and mix it as directed. Dig your hole, say 2X the size of the pot, tease the roots out a bit, plant it, backfill, then water with the quick start solution. You're done. Keep it moist for a few weeks so the roots can establish.

• upnortdareh
    17 years ago

Its that time of year Please support your local Ma & Pa nurseries and greenhouse otherwise there won't be any .Your grandkids will think they grow plants at the Big box stores and that would be ashame. Thanks Upnortdareh

• learningasigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I am definitely keeping them. And I do have some root stimulator. Thanks.

• luvtosharedivs
    17 years ago

Yes, yes, yes, keep them!
    I planted Wine & Roses about 5 years ago in clay soil w/some added aged cow manure, never fertilized, never babied. They may grow slow the first year, but after they're established, they're extremely hardy!

I also have 'Java Red' that DH rescued from a Shopko shopping center at the end of the season a couple years ago. And as you know, those shopping centers don't take good care of their plants! The first year it mostly sat in the ground, growing a good root system no doubt, but not much above ground, then it took off the second year.

We also rescued an unknown Weigela from a different shopping center (DH loves to bargain with the manager) last fall. I did some research and I think it's W. florida 'Variegata' - the leaves have cream edges, and a hairline red on the very outside edge. Just outstanding. It survived the winter just fine and now has loads of foliage.

Your Weigelas should do great in our zone.

Happy gardening!

Julie in Sturtevant, not far from you!

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

I too grow Wine and Roses and love it. These were planted in 2003 and this picture was taken in spring of 2006. I have pruned them a couple of times. (Do it after they bloom in spring, not before)I live is southwestern Wisconsin and am considered a zone 4. But have been successful growing many zone 5 plants.

Love them.....
    {{gwi:1352336}}
    close up with one of the roses growing nearby.
    {{gwi:1352337}}

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

What a pretty scene, Mary!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living