Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriedaway_gw

Can we play name that plant?

carriedaway
16 years ago

Ok a couple more things coming up hopefully to the point of i.d. This first one I remember had some flowers on it last summer and spread quite a bit.

Comments (26)

• ouluannie
    16 years ago

Hey Wisconsin has its very own forum! Cool! Carried, could you describe the flowers on the first pic? It looks sooo familar. The second one looks like it could be a bleeding heart, maybe?

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went ouside after the rain and grabbed a pic of a flower from the second plant Could it be coral bell?
    And could the first possibly be clematis?(don't really remember what the flowers looked like on that one, sorry but it was after July when we moved in and it still had flowers if that helps)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Carrie, the first photo looks like a hardy geranium.
    When it blooms, please post some pictures of it.

The second (and third) is a columbine. It looks like a hybrid of some kind. I had a blue one like that a few years ago, had a name something like "Bluebird", but those hybrids don't last long in my gardens.

One fun thing about columbines, is that if you let seed pods develop, then scatter the dried seeds all over your gardens, you'll get new ones popping up that look different from the parent plant!

Julie

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I think the 1st one a hardy geranium also. Some of them get reddish leaves in the Fall and really some color to the gardens then too. Some can really spread around also.
    I just bought come columbine a few weeks ago. They are beautiful plants. I love the flower on yours Carrie.

Kat

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!
    I knew someone could help.
    I'm going to have to gather up some of those seeds and put them in the front yard for next year where they'll actually be seen.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

I'm not so sure on the ID of geranium, Katusha. Take a pic when it blooms and post again.

Dave
    Franklin.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Well Dave, now I'm wondering. Carrie, please keep us updated when it flowers.

Kat

• putzer
    16 years ago

I was thinking the first one may be pink mallow.

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, at least nobody has agreed with my husband yet ( he says it's a weed) I'm leaning towards the hardy geranium from the pics I've seen on the net and my not so good memory of the flower. I will take pics as soon as I get that first flower.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Don't think the first is geranium. I think it is a mallow, maybe an Alcea fastigata type. If you remember, were flowers on a spike? >>>mallow. Geraniums do not spike. Cannot be a clematis as clematis leaves are arranged opposite of each other on the stem.

Concur with columbine.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Mallow sounds more like it for the first....can get weedy...watch it.:)

Dave
    Franklin.

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Carrie....
    I am still puzzled about the first pic. Here is a photo of my Geranium maculatum:

and here is a photo of Malva alcea Fastigiata
    found at www.plantstogrow.com
    Photographer: Paul Drobot:

Do you remember how tall the plant was when it was blooming? The malva can get 3-4 feet tall, but the geranium will be 1-2 feet tall, depending on the cultivar.

Julie

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just went out to check and it's already 3 feet tall, no flowers yet but I think there will be soon.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Julie, I just went to the plant site you listed and it's great! Thanks for posting that.

Kat

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, no flowers yet, it's already 4 feet tall, now I'm wondering if I should think about staking it

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Carrie....
    It's most likely a Malva then, at 4' tall!
    Mine are only a foot tall so far. You must have yours in a protected area to be that tall already. Mine have grown to 4' in the past, and I've had to stake them because of the added weight of the abundant blooms. I do so like the fact that they flower for a long period of time, but I have to pick out a lot of unwanted seedlings each Spring, or they'll take over my garden!

I'll be watching for your photos of the blooms....

Julie

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

Looks like Malva, I have the same plant growing.
    There's a simple way to tell which plants you should stake and which ones not to. Don't stake any of them, and if one falls over, then that's the one you should have staked.

Rich

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Rich,

Well aren't you the silly one! Staking something AFTER it falls over, esp. after a rain is a real pain, huh? Carrie, I'd stake it now, before the blooms get too heavy.

Have fun!

Julie

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got my first flower!

Here's the top at 54 inches!

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Oh, definately Malva!

Putzer, leftwood, mildave, and daddylonglegs were right all along. This was fun watching the plant progress! You should have plenty more if you let it reseed - so many, that you'll be able to give some away to neighbors, friends, family, etc.

Nice smile on the boy, too.

Thanks for sharing, Carrie.

Julie

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

That's exactly what mine just did, same flower. Thanks for posting the photo. I have another Malva that I got in a plant swap, I think from "grainy ledge" or tsugajunkie. But I think it's purple and the leaves are completely different, do different colors have different leaves are we using "malva" too generically?
    By the way, did you identify that other one you posted? The Columbine looking one?

Rich

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure the first one is Columbine.
    I've been doing research on the malva there seems to be quite a few different varieties with different leaves. I'm thinking I have the Hollyhock Mallow. I found this website interesting:

Here is a link that might be useful: The malva pages

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Carrie....

Thanks for sharing the link to the Malva pages.
    I especially like the difference in the Malva sylvestris seedlings.
    I also have Malva species coming up all over my garden as weeds. (They'll take over if I don't pull them)!

Here is my Malva Zebrina:

Julie

• carriedaway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Julie
    that flower is so pretty!

• drcntyaah
    16 years ago

I loved all the pictures of the malva. I have tried on several different occasions to grow Zebrina, I have tried it from seeds taken from a friend's plant, I have transplanted and I have this year purchased a nursery plant. None of them ever did well, never reseeded, and the one this year is only 2 feet tall and is already starting to wither (with seed pods) at the top. Do they need a lot of sun. Mine are on the south east side of the house and fairly shady, maybe 3 hours of sun. My hollyhocks do great there.

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Drcntyaah,

Yes, Malvas need full sun. Usually that means at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sun. Try moving them to a sunnier spot if you can. (But not this week-end - We're in for a heatwave!)

Julie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH