Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learningasigo

Oh, this Wisconsin Weather!

learningasigo
16 years ago

So, the weather forecast for SE WI calls for low overnight temps of 42 on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I know that isn't cold enough to produce a frost but what precautions, if any, do I need to take. I recently planted some perennials but they are mulched pretty good. What about the tomato plants I just planted yesterday. They are in a huge container that I can't move. Should I cover them up? What about annual baskets? I only have a few and I could move them to the garage if need be. I'm just not sure if the low 40's is too cold or if everything should be fine. Your thoughts???

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Everything should be fine as those lows should only last a few hours.

The tomatos may not like it, but they will survive it for the short duration.

Stupid weather ;-)

• ouluannie
    16 years ago

I agree, your plants should be fine, not happy but fine. I wonder how cold its supposed to get up here? I probably should check that out as I have a FEW things out. I usually don't put much outside until the end of May.

At least we are getting some much needed rain up here today. So its cold AND rainy. :P

• learningasigo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I think I'll cover up the tomato plants, bring in the hanging baskets and hope for the best.

It is only sprinkling here (SE WI). We need A LOT more rain than this. Hopefully, there is more to come.

Thanks.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I'm in Milw. cty and by me it got down to 45. We had rain most of Tues. afternoon into the evening. We got about an inch, and there's more due tonite.
    As for the temps, I still have plants on my deck, including 2 tomato plants. They're doing ok without any covering. I'm hoping to get them all in the ground by Sat. I just hope we don't get a lot of rain tonite, otherwise the ground may be too wet to do any planting.

Kat

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

yeah, I was planning on doing a lot of planting this weekend, but the weather is really unstable right now. Might pay to wait a week longer.

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

One of the benefits to gardening on a pile of glacier dump is the sand & gravel drain freely. I'll have no issues getting the warm season veg in this weekend. Of course, it's not much a benefit come drought season.

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

It's not the water I am concerned about, Bob, it's the temps.

Today the Fox Madison forecast is calling for sub 40F nights a couple times. The TMJ4 Milwaukee forecast has at least one night below 40 and weather.com has no nights below 40F (but one at 40 and one at 41).

Weather is really unstable. Don't want to risk a near freeze with the warm season stuff or it just holds them back longer than if I had waited to plant.

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Well go figure. This morning all the forecasts are quite different than they were last night. Warmer. That's good news. If the forecast this morning is the correct one ;-)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I don't know what to believe. I have the weather channel on and it says a frost advirsory between 1am and 7am Friday. Yet the low says 42. On Fox6 it says 40. Well, I don't go to bed until around 4am so I'll see how the temp goes. I will never take my vacation for planting this early again. At my age I should know better, but I was really getting antsy. :(

Kat

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz