Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yew got advice for me?

Posted by learningasigo 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 10:56

I'm looking for advice on upright yews. We planted 6 of them late last fall. Other than watering them good after initial planting and mulching them we didn't do anything. We've resumed watering them this spring but I noticed they each have some degree of leaf discoloration, yellowish or rusty in color. Is this normal after winter? Are they dying? Should I be doing something - fertilizing perhaps? Could the discoloration be caused by too little or too much water? They are buffered from wind by our neighbors garage so I know that isn't the cause. A friend suggested muriatic acid. That doesn't sound right to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Jennie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yew got advice for me?

Having just planted them last fall, a little yellowing can be expected. I may have watered a bit more last fall just to get them settled in. Don't fertilize or try to acidify the soil unless a soil test calls for it. Nitrogen is for top growth, your plants need root growth. As long as there are new shoots forming, they should be ok. As for watering now, stick your finger in the soil and feel for moisture and water if dry.

tj

o

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear.

o

Don't be too quick to fertilize. It really only helps a healthy plant. I agree with tsugajunkie...give it a chance to settle in first.:)

Dave
Franklin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here