Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
led_zep_rules

Free large white dahlias at SE WI plant swap!

led_zep_rules
17 years ago

Hi, as an incentive to participate, a generous anonymous donor (okay, my father-in-law) has sent boxes of white dahlias. The flowers are supposedly "the size of a large plate." Everybody who comes can have at least one, and they are clusters that can be divided further.

See you Saturday!

Marcia

Comments (5)

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

You are really tempting me. I could bring lot's of trading goodies but my plan is to weed and mulch instead. My garden is untilled and full of weeds with just an itty bit of lettuce and a small small patch of snow peas planted around a tomato cage. The trades I received would probably die before I got around to planting.

But I will pine over the white dahlias. I grew a few dinner plate size dahlia's once.

Have fun. Maybe next year for me. Diane

• led_zep_rules
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, my garden is also full of weeds. Haven't had time to get to most of them. If people are expecting to see a tidy garden, they are coming to the wrong place. I never even got any peas planted. At least the many lilacs and honeysuckle and lilies of the valley are blooming now, so it smells great. (Unless you stand by the compost, which is too wet from all the rain.)

How far away from me are you? I am sure there will be lots of dahlias left over. I have 4 boxes of varying sizes plus one bag. Maybe I could make each person weed for 5 minutes to get their free dahlias. :-)

Marcia

• lilwormy2003
    17 years ago

Where exactly is this plant swap?
    Wormy

• led_zep_rules
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Wormy,

Sorry, it was May 20th (yesterday.) Details were posted on another thread on this forum. We had 6 swappers there, and another one in absentia (who sent the dahlias, and I got him some hosta and irises.) We had excellent weather, and a good time was had by all. A couple of us had a drink, and hubby said to say that daddylonglegs took off some of his clothing (he didn't), just to make it seem more exciting, but actually it was me who was naked when the first two swappers arrived. (Okay, I was in the shower, they were 5 minutes early.)

We had a tour of my 5 acre jungle/yard. It worked well for me as I could dig things up on demand, although I already had about 30 plants in pots. Sandibluffs was the most organized person there, and had a lot of different plants, so I recommend you go to her plant swap next Saturday. Someone local I had invited came with one or two plants and a peach cobbler, so I swapped her plants for the cobbler. :-) All in all it went very well. I would be glad to host another one sometime.

For anyone who lives nearby, I still have plenty of dahlias and plants everywhere that I could dig up.

Marcia

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

I have been reading up on what to do with the tubers. Do you start them in some peat. How do you think they would do in a bed on the south side of a little garden shed. Would that be to hot for them? It would be in the sun all day. These tubers are the first plants that I have received in the mail-what a very pleasant treat!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!