Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenquest_gw

Mortgage Lifter....anyone have experiance with?

gardenquest
16 years ago

I have grown Cherokee Purple before and i know i enjoy it( i will grow 3 of them this year)....today i went for a ride to the garden center and bought "Mortgage Lifter". it is radiator charlie from Chef jeff @ steins.

Has anyone had experiance with this plant?

I have seen it mentioned on here before, but not recently.

thanks

Comments (11)

• aphrodite
    16 years ago

Last year was the first I planted it. It is a large, delicious tomato. I think one of the best tasting. I planted it again this year and had to buy one for my brother in law because he enjoyed it so much last year. It was the last tomato still bearing in the fall. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Please post and let us know what you think.

Shirley

• mike1970
    16 years ago

No experience, but I just planted my first one last night. Looks very vigorous, about 8 inches tall and bushy. I got it about 10 days ago, repotted it, and have been hardening it off ever since. We'll have to compare results in a few months.

Mike

• gardenquest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

for sure.....if i can remember how to post a photo link, lets do a comparison from around the area of mortgage lifters :) and update every couple weeks?

shirley, can you share photos of yours also?

Tina

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

I'm curious about it too. Like you, I love Cherokee Purple and had heard good things about Mortgage Lifter, so I'm trying it this year. It doesn't look that good right now, but like my Opalka last year I hope it will come on strong.
    How are you going to support it?

Rich

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

Doing Arkansas Traveller, Hillbilly potato leaf, Stupice & another I forget this year. I have to be careful with cracking towards the end of the season. Ark Trav did well last year so it repeats. I liked Cherokee Purp but got a crummy harvest because of cracking. Different things work in different gardens. I think thats 1/2 the fun of the open pollinated vegs. I strongly suggest Jimmy Nardello sweet pepper if you can find it. Its like eating candy. I have a source for plants if anyones interested,

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Trying Mortage Lifter & Black Krim for the first time this year. They'll accompany my usual Wisconsin 55, Brandywine & Cherokee Purple. And also a yellow cherry I got from granilege [pronounced grainy ledge ;-)] at the SE Wis plant swap.

tj

• mike1970
    16 years ago

Okay, I got out the digital camera this morning and took some pictures. Let's see if I can figure out how to display them here....

Mortgage Lifter

Some of my other heirlooms

And I have another row like the one in the picture above. My wife keeps asking me what I'm going to do with all the tomatoes I grow. My response is always "Eat them, obviously." ;)

Mike

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

Rather than Steins or some other store, try the local folks. There is a lady near me, she's on Cushing Park road in Delafield directly west of Lapham Peak. She grows plants in her own green house and sells many different heirlooms for a buck. Huge and in beautiful shape. I may even stop growing from seed now that I found her. I picked up a Black Krim and an eggplant, pepper plants, etc. Farmer's markets are great too.
    TJ, please save some Wisconsin 55 seeds for me.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Daddylonglegs- I can save the seeds of Wis 55, but being as they are open polinated and in with the rest of my tomato patch there is no telling what you'd get.

tj

• gardenquest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here are mine......if i cant get the photo right on herre, i will share the link to my album.

the link will work better, I have named each photo to share what they are.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardenquest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I also wanted to add that mine are really far apart...I have a tendnancy to let them get to close and i end with a disease infested jungle, So they are about 36" inches apart, and the bed itself is 36" deep from the house.
    the mortgage lifter is next to radishes that are almost done..we only have 1 or 2 more pickings so they will not interfer with Mortage lifter room either. This year unless i get monsters they WILL not touch each outher LOL. The plants shown are in a bed of 3 " deep black mulch...this section of yard gets sun all day and it really gets dry and cracky,hence so much mulch. DH and i have named it the "desert area" of our yard. Full southern exposure.
    I am hoping that this set ( first time growing in this bed with veggies, (I normally did bushes / sunflowers) But there is plenty of room to move "up" only thing there is the house and windows.
    i kind of hope to look out the office or dining room window and see tomatoes hanging on the stems :) LOL
    I have CP #3 ( not shown) in plain dirt bed on the west side of the yard so i am experimenting with that one.....no mulch, no Mircle grow, and and NO pruning....it has a area all to itself to do what it wants..the only thing close are my raspberry bushes which will be expired by the time it needs that room.

the other plants shown the full bed photo are zuchinni, and one "better belle" Green pepper, and of course my giant Marigolds to help again with my seeming to be yearly infestations UGH.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022