Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daddylonglegs_gw

SE WI swap in review

daddylonglegs
17 years ago

Marcia, thanks again for the use of your yard. It was great! Wish we all could have chatted more but we all seemed interested in your methods of gardening in the wild ,as opposed to gardening in the raw :) One more hard lemonade and who knows...

Chatting and touring together provides a much steeper learning curve, and new plants is a nice bonus!

Did everyone's heart sink Sat night when the rain came on the eve of planting day?

Luckily it was dry enough Sunday afternoon to get it in.

Nad, mugwort looks scary. Kind of like the way Jennie fears the obedient plant. Invasive?

You guys were great, I'm very glad I met you and look forward to future swaps and chats. Must do it again. When??

Comments (9)

• SandiBluffs
    17 years ago

I second the thanks for Marcia's lovely plant swap. I came away with lots of ideas to try, as well as plants!
    It was great meeting everyone. Looking forward to the next time.

DLL--- mugwort can be invasive. I would plant it in an area where you can have large plants, not a small vignette for delicate plants. It doesn't take off like mint, but it does enjoy growing. :)

Also, wanted to let you all know how much my friend enjoyed your rocks, canna and yucca. SB

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Hi All:

Thanks again for all the plants everyone! I loved learning about Marcia's garden and her experiments. As a new gardner it was great to see all the possibilities. Haven't gotten a thing in the ground yet, but have plans to work on it this week. I hope to get a the huge variety of mints into their containers tonight.

Jennifer

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

I really wish I could have gone. I had off last week just for my gardening. But the weather was just junk most of the week. I can't remember having such a bad week. If it wasn't cold, then the ground was too wet from rain. Hubby and I went to Milaeger's and Wayne's Daughters on Wednesday. Guess what?? T-storms that afternoon. Luckily both places have lots of greenhouses so I was happy just staying inside of them. Saturday was the 1st good day that the temps were nice and the soil was dry enough to do some planting. I still have things to plant yet. I'm really hoping this coming weekend I'll be able to get everything done. I've gone to plant swaps before and I've always had a great time. It's so nice being able to put a name to a face. I'll do my best to make any more plant swaps in this area.

Kat

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

Hey Kat, Did you go to the Wayne's Daughter's new store in Racine, or did you go to their original location just west of I-94? Because that is just down my street 1.5 miles! If you get to my neignborhood, feel free to come by for colorful rocks.

It was great meeting other gardeners and getting new plants. I especially look forward to discovering what my mystery plants are. Sandibluffs, you left me a bag of little plants that look vaguely like parsley, what were those? The label fell off. I got several unidentified plants from daddylonglegs, and the one he was ready to throw out is something my tenant has growing in a cluster in the yard, so hopefully it is something nice. I have managed to plant almost everything from the swap, plus many of my vegies. I have really expanded my shade garden with lots of hosta.

Generally spring and fall are good transplanting times, so maybe we could do another one in the fall? I would be glad to host another plant swap at my conveniently located jungle. You could find out how the plants in banana boxes work out. I planted several tomato plants in them this week, and the yellow raspberries are doing well so far.

Marcia

• sandylovesflowers
    17 years ago

I missed this one, too. Had tooooo many things going on this weekend, including a trip out of town.

Would love to hear about one for the Fall, though!

Sandy

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

Marcia, I went to the Wayne's Daughters in Racine on hwy 32. I have gone to the other one by you, but this one in Racine is great. Now I just have to get outside and plant everything. :)
    A Fall swap would be a good time for me too.

Kat

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

Has anyone been to the Perenial farm in Burlington/Lyons area? I went a few weeks ago and it is great.

• sandylovesflowers
    17 years ago

Hmmmmm..... Where in Burlington/Lyons is this place located? I have never been there. Never heard of it either. Thanks

Sandy

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

Its on hwy 36.I believe its called "Northwind Perenial Farm"

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA