Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daddylonglegs_gw

Growing Rose Bushes

daddylonglegs
17 years ago

I've tried roses about 4 times, and have never had them make it thru the winter.

Am I planting them right, or in the wrong place, not fertilizing enough, too much, not covering right, too dry, too wet, too hot?

I've vowed never to try again, but a coworker is giving me a few bushes, and I'm sure I'll kill them.

I've learned a few things that I may be doing wrong but any advice at all would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• madisonkathy
    17 years ago

Which roses are you growing? Hybrid teas won't make it through a Wisconsin winter, but rugosas, and a few others are hardy here. You might try Knockouts....(red, pink, blushing, and a new double one). They died almost to the ground last year, for me, but popped back up as soon as we had a warm day.

Here's a terrific page on rose cane hardiness.

Here is a link that might be useful: rose cane hardiness

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

That is a great link, Kathy.

Therese Bugnet has gone through two winters with no die back and that was with cutting it back half way last fall. Purple Pavement made it through 4 winters without dieback. I have a couple of knockouts, a few of the tips died, but that was my fault - I shouldn't have cut the roses back until late winter/early spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice rose site

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

Some hybrid teas can make it thru our zone 5 winters if you baby them. I only have one, St. Patrick. I've had to replace it twice in 9 yrs, but I just love this one. I have moved it to a spot that's protected and I mulch it very well for winter now. This last one is entering it's 3rd yr now. Otherwise, I stick with the hardy ones. Rugosas are great. One thing, I try to buy own root. This way if it dies back to the ground, I'll still get the same rose. I also never prune in fall. I do it in spring when I can see which canes are getting leaf buds on them. I trim out the dead and damaged canes then too. Well drained soil and at least 6 hrs of sun are really important. A few roses do well with 4 hrs, but 6 or more is the best. They like to be fed a lot too. I usually start in late April and the last time is in early August. Rugosas don't like chemicals, so use natural fertilizers. I'm giving a link for Spring Valley Roses. They test all their roses and let you know how hardy they are. They're in zone 4. They give great advice on planting and care for them too.
    Good luck on your roses and enjoy!

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful advice for hardy roses

• madisonkathy
    17 years ago

Kat,

I love Spring Valley! All of the roses I've bought from them do wonderfully here in z4. I was amazed at the blooms on their roses in Sept. that I planted in May.

• daddylonglegs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tips. All the roses I tried should have been hardy for our zone. I just dug up a few bushes that a friend is giving me, and I noticed that the dirt where they were growing is very loose, sandy and peaty. I think I have a dirt problem, I've been planting them in clay. Even though I plant directly in peat, the surrounding dirt around that is clay.
    This time I'll remove all clay and plant in a mixture of peat, top soil, and sand. In full sun.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

Daddylonglegs, it's good to mix some of that clay back in the good stuff you have. If it's just nice loose soil around the roses, the roots may not try to venture beyond the hole you dig. Also, with the good mixture you have, add some cow manure or compost. That'll help break up the clay you add back in.
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy them for many years!

Kat

• daddylonglegs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kat, I'm glad you mentioned to add clay back in, I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm putting them on the top of a mound, so I think will will use all top soil and peat/sand, then around the perimeter I'll dig up the clay and amend it.
    Are you sure about cow manure, will it burn the roots? How much?

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

I use the bagged kind. It's not just plain manure, but there's compost added too. It may say in big letters 'Cow Manure', but if you read the bag, it'll say mixed with compost or such. I haven't found a bag yet that's only cow manure. It's aged and won't harm plant roots. Mix all your 'ingredients' together before filling the hole. When I mix it for planting, I mixed half garden soil and half manure/compost. I also add sand and any old grass clipping and old leaves from the previous fall. I put some of that in the bottom of the hole, then add some of the soil/clay into the soil mixture I have left. Then I use that to fill the rest of the hole. Like you, I have very bad clay soil. When we first moved here, we rented a rototiller to dig up the soil and mix good stuff in. I did that for a few gardens, then I said forget it! After that I did lasanga beds. A fair amount of work, but much easier than trying to dig up clay.
    Looks like we're going to have a good weekend to get our planting in. Have fun!

Kat

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting