Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

moving plants around

pondwelr
15 years ago

I need some common-sense advice for moving plants from my back yard to the front. Or just sharing with friends.

I really thought that this early in the Spring, it would be easy, and the plants wouldnt suffer.

But, I shared some just dug plants with a new friend yesterday, and they were looking pretty limp and lame.

Is there a certain size for success? Like tiny, better than larger?

I know the advice about taking as much soil as possible, but couldnt do it in this case. My yard is super-dry.

But I did include soil from where the transplants were growing.

So, now I want to move a bunch of lupines from back to front. I suspect that smaller is better. But really want to get at least a few 2-yr olds in there to propagate for next year.

It is cool, shady and I am hoping that the time is right.

Am I set for doomed plants, or can I expect some success?

Comments (6)

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Spring is a good time for moving [most] plants, but there can still be some moving stress. Minimize it by doing it during cooler periods like the evening rather than the heat of the day and water well the day before so plants are well hydrated instead of water stressed.

The day after a rain is great, but hard to come by when you want it.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

I addition to justaguy2's good advice, my general rule for transplanting is that if it blooms in Spring, I move it in the fall. Everything else I move in Spring (except irises, they're moved late summer).

tj

• aka_margo
    15 years ago

Early spring is a good time to move plants around. Some of them will go limp and act like they are dying, but will usually rebound within a few day if cared for. To help my plants with the transition I also add a little rooting hormone to my watering can when watering them. You can get rooting hormone anywhere, Miracle Grow even has their own brand called Quick Start (I think). A little goes a long way.

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good advice from everyone. Muy Gracias. (sp?)
    I didn't realize how dry and crumbly the soil was. Next time I move anything, I will water first, maybe even dig the holes and water them first.
    I even have some rooting hormone left over from 6 yrs ago, when I started plants from seeds. Hope its still good.

Well, except for the columbine. I cant find a place with poor enough soil to move them to. I dug them out of the gravel base that was laid down for pavers under a small trellised archway unto my patio. No kidding! I gave about 10 to a new friend, and there are probably 30 more growing in every crack and crevice in pure sand and gravel. What tough little buggers.

My neighborhood is buzzing with people out doing stuff in their yards. About every other driveway has a tarped over pile of wood chips just waiting for this weekend. I know from experience that Steins will be crazy, so if I do any plant shopping today, it will be at a local nursery. No doubt you are all doing the same. Happy planting. Pondy

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

I even have some rooting hormone left over from 6 yrs ago

It is probably garbage at this point. Rooting hormones have fairly short shelf lives and should be replaced at least annually unless you have a product labeled for longer use.

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jg. I must have read the expiration on the jar, cuz it is gone. Thrown out by me.

My lawn care man is here right now, and I resisted the urge to tell him to cut down the grape hyacinth that grows all around my front garden bed. I've been having him weed-whack every year, and its now growing into the bed itself, and the lawn and nearby beds.

I want to put all the seedheads into one of my back garden beds, and let it run rampant. I think I will also bag and spread seeds from columbines and Lupines. That way, I wont have to worry about transplanting seedlings. What will grown, will grow.

What a cop out. Oh well, it works for me. Except for the Russian Sage, which I will have to transplant to the back yard as a plant, not seed.

I'm always looking for the easy way, cuz I cant get down on knees to do the type of garden work I would love.
    How I envy you all. So, happy weeding, mulching and planting. Pondy