Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudman93

Apricots!!!

mudman93
13 years ago

I moved into my house 4 yrs. ago and every year the apricot tree in my yard flowers (way early) and then when the frost comes it drops all its flowers and results in no fruit. Well not this year! The tree is covered with tons of tiny apricots! I'm so excited. Now what am I going to do with all those apricots?

Comments (7)

• madisonkathy
    13 years ago

How wonderful! How far are you from Madison? I love apricots! ;)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    13 years ago

I hate to say this, but it's going to get pretty cold this weekend. In the Milwaukee area, lows for Friday and Saturday are expected to be in the upper 30s. Possible upper 20s way up north. Maybe they'll be wrong.

Kat

• mudman93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had frost on the ground several times in the last couple weeks and it doesn't seem to be affecting the fruit. Am I ok since it has already set?

• mudman93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

katusha was right. It froze. No more apricots. I guess I need to build a 20 ft. tall 30 x 30 cold frame if I want any apricots.

• jungseed
    13 years ago

sorry to hear you lost the fruit. really stinks - oh no, I meant aren't the chanllenges fun?

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

That's sad. I'm planting two apricot trees this weekend. I'm down in Madison so hopefully the hardy trees combined with the zone 5 of the city will help.

• mudman93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The problem is they flower soooo early. Mine is done flowering way before the apple trees start flowering which almost always means that the flowers or fruits will freeze. Otherwise the tree is very healthy and nice looking. Good luck with yours.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio