Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Over-run by Lily of the Valley

zaphod42
15 years ago

I have Lily of the Valley along the North side of my house. It is moving into my neighbor's yard and into my beds. What should I do to stop the progression? We're planning to edge the bed with stone but, is that enough? Also, we're pretty 'green' and would prefer not to use chemicals or plastics, if possible.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also want to plant some phlox but have been told that gets pretty invasive also. Any hints for that as well?

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

I would dig out as much of the Lily of the Valley as you can, and give it away. Maybe someone would love to have the plants as a ground cover in shade where no grass will grow.

Phlox needs a sunny site in order to bloom - I'd say at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. Deadhead to prevent unwanted seedlings. If extra "invasive" seedlings pop up, they're easy to pull out.

Julie

• led_zep_rules
    15 years ago

Post on your local freecycle that people can come and dig up lily of the valley. Just supervise to be sure they dig where you want them to. You can get rid of a large amount that way for sure.

Me, I have 5 acres and I let the lily of the valley go wherever it wants, and I transplanted some into my ditch a few years ago.

Zaphod42, I think the real answer to "life, the universe, and everything" is gardening. :-)

Marcia

• enya_34
    15 years ago

Without edging you won't stop it as it grows by underground runners. I don't think you need to have too deep of a barrier though.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

I love LOV and fortunately have it in a spot where it can spread as it wants. If you are going to start digging it up - start at the leading edges rather than trying to start from somewhere in the middle. The newer plants on the edges aren't so entrenched, and once you get a toehold in with a sharp shovel you can pry up big chunks.

If they're starting to encroach on your other perennials, etc., you will probably have to lift the perennials while you're dealing with the LOV.

According toThe Practical Gardener, any physical barrier should be 10-12" deep to be on the safe side. It'll get past any arrangement of stones set on the soil surface.

• Rachel_WI_5
    15 years ago

Hi, At our local newspaper, the sell aluminum press plates for just a small amount and they are the size of a sheet of newspaper. I've gotten some of them, folded them in half and dug them in where I want invasive plants to stop and it works well. You can contain any plant that has underground runners that way. The only other way would be to periodically use a sharp spade and turn over a 6 inch border to keep the runners from "running". Raspberries do the same thing, and you keep your rows where you want them by continually turning over the soil and not letting the roots get a chance to run and send up new shoots. The varigated Bishop's Weed does the same thing. Once you have it it just keeps going unless you put down a 12 inch barrier. Good luck with your gardening.
    Rachel