Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get rid of Rhubarb

Posted by jenwestie z5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 17, 06 at 16:05

Hi All:

I have rhubarb popping up everywhere. In my lawn, garden unders trees and bushes. How do I get rid of it? I don't like rhubarb and I have dogs that eat everything and don't want them eating rhubarb leaves. Any suggestions would be great. By the way I am pretty sure it's the wild type of rhubarb as I certainly didn't plant it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get rid of Rhubarb

You could use weed killer. Put it on with a paint brush or something so you only get the rhubarb.

Lee

o

Are you sure it is rhubarb. It might be burdock. If it is burdock, you have to dig up each root. Don't let anything go to seed.
http://www.econetwork.net/~wildmansteve/Plants.Folder/Burdock.html

o

If it is really rhubarb, the best thing is to dig it up and bring it to the plant swap on Saturday. :-) I am pretty sure it is the weed that looks an awful lot like rhubarb, though. I never heard of rhubarb spreading itself all over someone's yard. In which case you don't need to worry about your dogs eating the leaves. It is hard to get rid of that weed, though, so digging it up is what I do. Or if you just mow it real often that keeps it in check a bit.

Marcia

o

Thanks everyone for the info. Digging it up will have to be it, because I think it's the weed thing. Poops! There's lots of it.

o

I'm also betting that it's burdock. I do have some volunteer rhubarb which started from seed. However, as seedlings they are really delicate the first several years and definitely would not try to take over. In fact, if grass crowds it, rhubarb will die. That applies to old stands as well as young.

Martin

o

It's burdock. Sigh. I hit it with round up, but nothing happened, so I will yank it out this weekend.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

o

Round-up won't kill it right away. It has to be absorbed and translocated to the roots of the plant. In about a week the plants will start to yellow and die. Spray them on a dry day with no wind so you don't get overspray on plants you want to save.

o

I'll second the Roundup results. Tried it last year and nothing happened for a few days. Then it began to yellow and die. Never came back again and no sign of any this year. If one wants to hasten Roundup's effects without waiting for the foliage to begin to die, hoe it to ground level and then spray the stubs.

Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here