Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Arctic blast may be coming

franktank232
13 years ago

Just a heads up that the weather of the past two months is about to make a change, and not in our favor. As of now record LOW temps are showing up on the American model for La Crosse (where i live). That would be 28F both Sat/Sun mornings (yes...2 in a row).

Stay tuned.

Comments (20)

• madisonkathy
    13 years ago

Now, that's depressing.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to move my lettuce out today.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update.

Everything still on track. Models spitting out low 30's and even upper 20's next weekend for LaCrosse. Milwaukee mentioned the S word (flakes). Looks like Sunday morning is going to be the one to watch.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Thanks. My garden is so far along that I won't be able to cover much.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looking UGLY with temps showing upper 20's both Sat and Sun morning... My guess is most areas of the state should at least see frost, with plenty of areas seeing a freeze.

Winds do look on the light side, so get those blankets handy.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    13 years ago

Well, I just checked out the weather channel website for the Milwaukee area and they say upper 30's for Friday and Saturday nites. No mention of snow, but possible rain showers. I remember several years back we had snow that stuck to the ground on Mother's Day, so it's not unheard of. I don't have any veggies or annuals in the ground yet, so I'll probably bring the flats inside.

Kat

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Milwaukee should be on the safer side of things, but areas of central/west/north WI are going to get slammed, most likely. Models were the coldest yet the last 2 runs.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

New model run drops it to 26F in La Crosse. Very very very bad. Huge apple growing region around here. Probably lose a significant portion of the crop.

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    13 years ago

Blankets are definitely in order this weekend to cover beets, lettuce, onion, kohlrabi, & Swiss chard, with upturned cardboard boxes, pots, and old drapes. I think peas are OK.

In the past month I have gotten up several times at the crack of dawn to spray my four blooming fruit trees - pear, apricot, peach, & nectarine. I spray with water to dissipate the frost before the sun strikes them. I spray a bit, then walk around my yard and sip my coffee, then spray some more. I stay out for about 1 1/4 hours until the frost on my black roof goes away due to the sun hitting it. I did that last year and had a successful fruit harvest of all four trees.

While I am at it I'll spray the Nikko Blue, and Endless Summer Hydrangea and blueberry bushes too. Where do you stop? How hardy are red currents?

I will set my alarm this weekend and spray the fruit trees again. They are done blooming now, but have very tiny fruit on them. It can't hurt to spray them with water.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

maj-

Good plan. I'll be out there with you. This looks brutal, may need more water! Newest run just came out. Looks the worse yet for my parts. Drops to 26F for a few hours, then Monday it drops us to around 30F again. I have 6 tarps, and 10 blankets, with more coming tomorrow. I'll drape the whole yard. I have a greenhouse and a lot of potted plants that will be fine (in the garage). The shorter nights help.

Now i know why i want to move most fruit into containers and other crops into high tunnels!

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

We're suppose to get rain and snow showers along with the frost.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still looks like a frost/freeze for large areas. Snow is on the way. Even La Crosse will get snow, but accumulation may be a problem in the river valley. I'm guessing the bluff tops may be covered with an inch.

• mudman93
    13 years ago

I have apricots and pears set and my apples are blooming. Could I just throw sprinklers under the trees to combat the frost?

13 years ago

Years ago with an expected freeze coming, I set a sprinkler in my pear tree to run all night long. The following morning pear blossoms, leaves and bark were all covered with a layer of ice, which must have protected the blossoms, because that year produced a heavy pear crop.

It was lucky that the ice wasn't heavy enough to break the branches.

Tonight they predict rain changing to snow, 2-4 inches, and temps ranging from 32-38, then lows of 31 degrees Sunday AM and 34 Monday AM.

I guess I will need to prop up any blankets with low fencing to keep the heavy weight of snowy, soggy blankets off the tiny seedlings in the vegetable garden. Cardboard boxes would collapse.

If there is snow, perhaps it will blanket tiny fruit in the trees. Maybe that would be a good thing? I am undecided.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hard to say. I would think a few inches of snow would protect seedlings, but not sure about trees. Throw in wind too... That should pick up tomorrow once this low gets east of here and starts pulling down drier/colder air (yippee!).

I'm covering Sat night once the winds settle down. I've got a lot of blankets since i have a ton of stuff to protect. I bought some tarps, but those need to not touch the plants, so i'll probably be out at 2am putting those up.

Probably build a big fire in the yard, grab a bottle of wine and sleep under the stars with my hose :)

My pear tree set a horrible crop this year. Must be pollination issues.

This isn't it either, there is more cold air next week (lots of 30's), but not much chance of a freeze. Very crappy weather pattern for the next 7-10 days. Looks wet.

13 years ago

I just finished laying wire tomato cages down on their side among the seedlings, which are planted in patches not rows. Over the wire I spread out tarps and weighed down the corners with bricks. I may put blankets over the tarps for good measure if the wind ever dies down.

I also emptied out the cold-frame/greenhouses I had cobbled together with old storm windows and a picnic table and plastic. I carried eight flats of various seedlings into the garage for the night. That was easier than covering the two "cold-frames"

Still not sure what to do with the fruit trees in the morning. My only choice is spray or not spray with water.

That big bonfire and large bottle of wine sounds like a fine idea.

13 years ago

franktank232 - You are right, now the weather men are calling for 30 degrees Saturday night here. What "model" do you get your information from? It is more accurate than the TV and internet sources that I have been watching.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its basically the raw data spit out by the GFS (American weather model) and is most likely what your local wx guys are looking at, which you can view here for Green Bay.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kgrb

I think it has done very well here (sometimes a little cold, which would be good in this case). Still wants to drop La Crosse to 26F, so that is probably the Minimum we would see. This rain may help some keep those temps up a little.

Whatever the case, a stretch of cold weather is stuck with us until at least next weekend.

• Tiffany Marshall
    13 years ago

I live in northeastern IL, and I have petunias, coleus and rex begonias planted, as well as lantana, and perhaps a couple tender perennials I will have to cover for tonight. Going to flip over some pots and put them over these plants. I'm actually going to do that now since I won't be back till late. How does watering the plants and ice help protect the plants exactly?

• skeip
    13 years ago

Freezing water is an exothermic (heat releasing) action. The warmer water looses it's heat as it freezes to the fruit, leaves whatever it is freezing on. It is important to do this only when the next day is going to be warm enough to melt the ice, otherwise the ice continues to get colder along with the fruit it is supposed to protect, and all is lost. Like maj742 said, he does it late in the freeze period and stops just as the frost / freeze cycle is ending. Good luck everyone, what looked like an early spring is turning into a nasty last bit of winter!!

Steve

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor