Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

tell me about plant swaps

pondwelr
15 years ago

I've never been to one. How do they work exactally? Would I trade a large second yr plant to someone who

has stuff I dont want? Or does one put up a sign saying "will trade plant X for a plant Y ?"

How does one get the plants to and from the swap site? Assuming one can park nearby, do you carry them, ask for a wheelbarrow, what? Then what, bring and set up a card table?

I am all hung up on the logistics. I think I might ask Mommie Rose if I can come and observe.

Pondy

Comments (2)

• mommie_rose
    15 years ago

The one that I went to last year (the only one I've ever been to) was really informal. I'm hoping to make mine pretty informal, too. It works out easiest for everybody, I think, if you post your haves/wants in the thread relating to the particular swap. Then when someone sees your post, they can respond by saying they have some particular plant on your list, and/or they would like some particular plant on your list. Then both parties bring their plants to the swap and commence the swapping. If you have way too much of something and would be willing to give it away to someone who doesn't have any plants that you want, you don't have to take any of their plants. As long as all parties are satisfied at the end of the swap, we're all good. As far as getting the plants to and from the swap site, last year (and I'm assuming for my swap too) whoever brings plants, brings the potted. If you have any old nursery containers, even if they're cracked or whatever, you can bring your plants in those, just as long as the plants are in a decent enough container to survive the swap and the ride home. I've got stuff right now in old yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. Last year what happened was we all parked on the street/in the driveway and did our swaps from the backs of our cars. At my house, I've got a parking lot kiddy-corner from my back yard, so I think we'll probably just do that. Oh, and a tour of the gardens of the person holding the swap is also included...though, in my case, there won't be much to look at (I'm thinking of hosting another swap a few years from now so I can show off what I'm hoping to get done in that time). You can come and observe, or if you have any wants/haves, you can get involved, too! BTW, Pondy, I'm gonna send you an email on a somewhat unrelated subject.

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Liz, so if I understand your right, we all sort of deal out of the backs of our vehicles? That would be great for me. I have health issues and cant carry any weight for any distance. How great that you have a nearby parking lot.

So, I should now be using old containers to pot up all the aqualigia and some lupines and whatever else I suspect anyone wants?
    Hey, this I can do.
    See you soon, Sharon

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery