Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

Mayapple and other woodland plants

pondwelr
15 years ago

I have a few mayapples that have survived from a raid on my in-laws 'up-nort' cabin. Propagation has been really slow. I do know though, that one of these days they will take off and fill in my smallish woodland garden. Other survivors include some bluebells and bloodroot. I plan to buy trillium and transplant jacks from another site, to make this a neat woodland carpet.

Does anyone have more easy to transplant or seed woodland

species? My bed is only 10 by 15 or so.

Pondy

Comments (6)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    15 years ago

One of my favorites is Canadian Ginger, transplants well also.

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not familiar with C. Ginger. Will Google later and find an image. One of my favs from up north,(Shawano) where I lived as a child, was wintergreen. Loved the glossy, waxy leaves and we all liked chewing on the leaves too. Are you familiar with that plant?
    The only source of wildflowers available locally is a once a year sale at LacLauren, a local conservatory. This year they had hundreds of red trillium stolen right before the sale. That was the one plant I wanted, and was so bummed, that I didnt even attend the sale.
    There are so many idiots in this world!

If anyone knows a source of woodland or meadow plants, let me know, would you?
    Pondy

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Are you familiar with Prairie Nursery in Westfield Wisconsin?

http://www.prairienursery.com/

They carry native plants and their catalog is organized by soil, moisture and light requirements. I recommend ordering the catalog.

They also have a retail store now.

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Janetpetiole, I even bought plants from their mail order catalog some years ago. I have a 5 or 6 ft swath of 'Prarie Smoke' across my front garden bed, which I just love. the flowers aren't terribly long lasting, but are so lovely when in bloom, and the foliage is great all year. Thanks for reminding me. I dont recall them having woodland plants, but I wasn't looking for any back then. My trees and shrubs were too young and spindly. Now, 9 yrs
    down the line, some are full size, and the two or three large species are getting huge.
    Thanks for the reminder. Pondy

• led_zep_rules
    15 years ago

First, I want to let you know that mayapples will take off in a few years. Four or five years ago we had a few plants here and there (just appeared on their own when we cut down the invading grey dogwood) and now we have big clusters of them in many places. Similar story with red trilliums. We had a few here and there, we find a couple new ones every year, and this year we found about 7 plus one huge white trillium. Give nature a chance and it is amazing what will happen.

We do not have a particular area for them, but we have 5 acres of mostly old orchard with many other volunteer trees, shrubs, forbs, and grasses. I especially like false Solomon's seal, which I was thrilled to find a few years ago. If you want to wait for the fall I could give you some seeds from mine. If you are zone 5 also probably we aren't too far apart in WI, as most of the state is zone 4.

Just be very cautious who you buy trillium from. Some companies just dig them up in the wild with devastating results on the wild population.

Marcia

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Marcia for your offer of seeds. I will take you up on that. I've had wonderful success with plants bought from a local conservatory called LacLauren. I bought bloodroot, jacks, gentians, and others in the past. This year I wanted red trillium. but they were all stolen. I was so bummed, never even went to the sale. I have one solomons seal, and want to propagate the seeds.

Any help is appreciated. Pondy

Sponsored