Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Anyone in WI grow Bamboo?

luvtosharedivs
15 years ago

If so, can you tell me where I might purchase a hardy variety?

Thanks,

Julie

Comments (19)

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pbaby,

I'm in the SE corner of the state, and found a nursery that sells a few varieties about an hour west from me - Klehm's in Avalon.

Does anyone here grow any named varieties?

Julie

• milwdave
    15 years ago

Milleager's in Racine has Fragersia rufa, a clumper. I don't see them too often in garden centers.

Dave
    Franklin

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dave,

In fact I drove there after work today, since I work in Racine. Those are some large containers, and a bit pricey ($50) for my first time trying Bamboo. I think I'll look around a bit - wouldn't want to lose one over winter, it I've never tried one before (especially at that price!)

Julie

• milwdave
    15 years ago

Ah...surprised I didn't see you. I was working the nursery lot.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, next time I'm there, I'll look for you!

Actually, they weren't exactly in the nursery lot, but rather at the edge of the perennial lot (which I guess borders the nursery lot - Ha!) Another cyber-friend of mine told me I could divide the bamboo in sections, that way $50 isn't so pricey after all. I live closer to Milaegers in Sturtevant, so I may still check there. I'd better hurry, huh? It looks like they are specialty plants that may not be reordered? What do you think?

Julie

• milwdave
    15 years ago

We run out of quite a few things Julie. If it's early enough in the season we will reorder. But with something like bamboo it still depends on our suppliers as to whether or not we'll get it. Hope to see you sometime.:)

Dave
    Franklin

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Dave!

Is that you I see pictured inside the front cover of the nursery catalog (2007)? If it is, I see you running around helping people all the time, answering a zillion questions!

Never a dull moment at that place, huh?
    I work in six different buildings, but next time I'm on the North side, I'll stop in during my lunch hour and introduce myself, and maybe see if any of that Bamboo is left - in fact I might be able to swing by Friday.

Julie

• milwdave
    15 years ago

Nope, that's not me Julie...it's my boss. I'm confined to the nursery...LOL

Dave
    Franklin

• mail-lady
    15 years ago

Julie -- When you say Klehm's at Avalon - Do you mean just west of Janesville -- small town with little to no downtown ?? I live in Milton, and am not aware of any Klehm's - but would like to find bamboo as well. Mary

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mary,

I recently ordered and received a Bamboo and several Hostas from Klehm's. They send absolutely huge plants!
    Click on this link:
    Klehm's
    If you scroll down to where it says "contact us" you will see their address.

I purchased Fargesia rufa, Green Panda. It's still sitting in a pot waiting to be planted. I don't know if you've received as much rain as we have, but our ground is saturated right now, all I can do is a little weeding on the edges of my gardens.

Let me know if you find Klehm's. I have their catalog too.
    This summer I will have some time off work, and would like to visit them.

Julie

• mail-lady
    15 years ago

Thanks Julie, That's not far from us, I didn't know they sold to the public - some of their peonies fields are about four miles from here. I'll go over to Avalon this next week, We have had record rainfall, we farm and fields are flooded.But our house and buildings are not flooded, and we are all safe, so we are lucky. The Dells area and so many areas are suffering - some by their own bad judgement,but none the less, suffering - that we have to feel blessed here. Clustered Bellflowers and Coreopsis started blooming today, got a few weeds pulled, and 3 ice cream pails of strawberries picked, before the storms hit again - so not such a bad day! Thanks Again for info and site link. Mary

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary,

I just reviewed Klehm's on-line site, and it shows that they are a mail-order nursery only, not open to the public.
    (Darn!)

I see they have sold out of Fargesia rufa Green Panda, but there are three others that you might consider. Just type Bamboo in the search box.

Julie

• mr.mader
    15 years ago

I bought bamboo years back that was supose to handle zone 4/3. It didn't survive & I mulched the heck out of it in the fall to get ready for Winter............... Didn't make it.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's why I only bought one. It's supposed to be hardy in zone 5, but I will mulch it well for the first couple of winters anyway, before I decide if I want more. Our site is very windy, which is very drying to exposed plants. I've been told to keep it well watered all the way up until the ground freezes.

Julie

• lillianloveshostas
    15 years ago

I located mine at the Flying Pig in Two Rivers Wi last year. It is slow to get going, but it surrived the winter!

• aka_margo
    15 years ago

When I was at Stein's the other day I saw bamboo, not sure what kind though as I didn't read the tag.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lillian,

Welcome to the GW forums!
    (I see you recently joined.)
    I assume you live in WI, since you mentioned Two Rivers. If you live near there, it looks like you are in zone 5a or 5b. Did you give your bamboo any special winter protection to help it survive?

I love hostas too.
    So does Jen (aka_margo.)
    BTW, Jen, I visited Steins in Racine, and that particular store had no bamboos.

Julie, in Sturtevant

• aka_margo
    15 years ago

This last fall they redid the Stein's in Appleton. They now have a huge Monrovia section with lots of new plants they normally wouldn't carry. I was just there again today, but I didn't even look at plants I was just picking up some spinosad to get rid of all my earwigs.