Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee53011

Frost again tonight south wisconsin

lee53011
17 years ago

Suppose to get frost again tonight according to Milwaukee stations. Make sure to cover everything up!! Got surprised last night. Didn't know frost warnings until 10pm news. So here I am running around in the dark trying to cover up the more expensive stuff!!! I think I might lose some of the cannas and the coleus. Think I saved the elephant ears.

Lee

Comments (6)

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

Lee, thanks for the warning. I don't think it got below 40F at my place.
    So tell me, how is that you have cannas up already? Or were they store bought plants?
    And elephant ear, how big are they and how did you get started? I've been unsuccessful at that but want them in a big way. Or are those store bought plants too?

Jealous

• lee53011
    Original Author
    17 years ago

daddylonglegs,
    The cannas I grew from seed that I traded for. The black magic elephant ears I bought on ebay from wellspring100 I think his name was. I bought 3 black elephant ears and 1 borneo giant for about $20 including shipping. They were plants about 6" high or so. Also bought 2 basjoo banana's from him for $17 including shipping. Great seller good plants.

Lee

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

Lee, is the elephant ear treated like a caladium? Save the bulb and plant next year or bring inside? How big do you think it will get this year?

Rich

• lee53011
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes it is treated the same. Suppose to get to 5 feet tall, we'll have to see. It is planted in compost and rabbit manure so it should grow well.

Lee

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

OK, one more question then I'll leave you alone.
    You were chatting on another thread about your new planting bed and you mentioned that you bought elephant ear and a few other plants at Walmart. Did that not work out for you? Looks like you did better on Ebay.

The plants you like are the ones I like as well, just haven't had good success.

• lee53011
    Original Author
    17 years ago

daddylonglegs,
    I bought one of the bulbs at wal-mart. Just planted that one about a week ago, supposedly it won't even start growing until night temps stay above 50 degrees. Hopefully it does something. Another thing I have had very good luck with is taro root from the oriental market. Bought them for like .99 cents a pound and they are also considered elephant ears. Get very large tropical looking foliage. These have started growing and new leaves have started forming. Mexican grocery stores also have malanga roots which are similar. I also planted castor bean plant which gets like 8 to 10 feet tall. Pretty good for an annual!!

Lee

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner