Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipelakelinda

Progress of perennials

pipelakelinda
16 years ago

I live near Cumberland, an hour south of Hayward. My asiatics and orientals are knee high. The hostas are almost full. All dahlias are up. Things seem at least 3 weeks ahead of schedule. Is everyone else experiencing the same thing?

Comments (9)

• sandylovesflowers
    16 years ago

Hi - I am in South Eastern Wisconsin, about 1 Mile north of the IL Border. I don't think we are ahead of schedule down here, maybe even a bit behind? I thought the creeping phlox were done blooming by this time last year. I could be wrong, but, I don't think we are ahead of schedule. The snow in early April may have set us back a bit.....

S.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Dahlia's are up? When did you put them in the ground or are they in pots? I just put mine in the ground on Tuesday (only because it was near 90 on Monday).

tj

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Lilies knee high? Mine are knee high to a midget.

I don't think things are too far behind normal, but my garden here in Dodge County is a couple weeks behind what you are describing.

Even my container dahlias stored inside are just barely coming up.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

The lilacs have been in bloom for over a week now and that's about 3 wks early. Usually Memorial Day is when they are blooming good. My lilies are really pushing up high too. But my roses and hardy geraniums are a little later than usual. My daffs bloomed earlier by about 2 wks too. I thought I wasn't going to have any because of the cold spell, but they came thru fine. I would say it's about half and half with my perennials.

Kat

• learningasigo
    16 years ago

One of my lilac bushes has bloomed and faded already too. I think it was damaged by the April snowstorm because the leaves turned black on the edges.

My lilies are midget-sized too.

Sandy, you must live very close to me. I'm about 5 miles north of the WI/IL border.

Jennie

• User
    16 years ago

Here in the frozen tundra of the northwoods we are definitely ahead of the game. Tigers are knee high, hostas are at 50% or so, columbine are in bloom, as are lilacs. Gotta love it. Unfortunately, the woodticks are in bloom, too

:(

Constance.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

My lilies are definitely knee-high for me...but I'm just under 5' tall ;o)

My columbine and lilacs are in full bloom and delphiniums are 2' high!

Constance, isn't that the truth about the woodticks! Between my grandkids and myself, we've pulled at least 8 off already this year!

Char

• User
    16 years ago

Char: only 8? I work for the County Forestry Dept., and our guys are competing for most ticks in one day--so far one guy's had 50 something...

Con

• nanatink
    16 years ago

Oh man Elvis, that's gross to even think about! I have seen one tick on my daughter, and one on the dog so far.