Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will grow in a stone planter ?

Posted by toomuchglass 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 20:41

There's so many garden forums , I couldn't figure out where to ask this! Since I'm in South Milwaukee ,I thought I'd start here.

**Waving hi to my neighbors !**

I'm Kathy ,I usually hang out at the GW crafty forums . Nice to meet you ! Here's my problem . My small yard is a plant cemetery . I only have a few growing spots. Everything seems to die for me. ( I don't have a green thumb ,so maybe it's me ) I have an internet friend that lives in New Hampshire - she dug up 3 plants out of her garden & sent them to me -- guaranteed easy to grow !
Bless her ! Now , here's my question. I have a big stone planter in my yard. It's 3' x 3' x 3' x3' and 4 foot deep. It's filled with good top soil. I'm tired of planting annuals in it - I'm looking for something that will come up every year .There HAS to be SOMETHING ! - a bush or a plant , something that will survive our winters ! Do you know what it is ? The planter, like most of my yard , gets the afternoon sun. I'm jumping with joy at my NH plants !!! Do you know what grows in a stone planter ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will grow in a stone planter ?

Hi Kathy, and welcome. I've seen your posts on the "Garden Junk Forum". Many things grow in a container that size as long as it has proper drainage. The catch-all phrase of "good topsoil" usually is not conducive to good growing in a container. A looser mix is needed that includes more perlite, turface and pine bark, although if the planter has no bottom you might be ok. How many hours of afternoon sun does it get and what plants did you get?

tj

o

Hi Tj ~~ Thanks for the reply ! My planter gets the afternoon sun & it's in a sheltered corner of the yard.

I might have to loosen the soil a bit ( never thought of that ) I've only planted annuals in it so far . I haven't bought any plants for it yet this year. I swear I've seen flowering bushes growing in big stone planters. Maybe I'm dreaming ! LOL Mine looks like a stone wishing well . Maybe I'm better off filling it with totems or yard art , LOL .

o

If its full sun all afternoon, then any sun loving plant would do fine...be it a shrub, conifer, even a small tree. How big of a plant would you want? A 3'x3'x4' container could support any of a number of things and being stone it likely wouldn't cook the roots. Any chance of a pic?

tj

o

One of the toughest plants that I have are daylillies. They do fine over winter and in my experience grow in everything from sand to clay :-)

o

One of the biggest challenges in an above ground container, after the propper soil mix, is the over wintering conditions. That block of soil in the winter is going to freeze solid when it's cold, and then thaw when the sun hits it, even on a cold winter day. You have to figure a way to manage / minimize the freeze / thaw cycle, that will do in just about any perennial or woody. Once it's frozen, you need to keep it frozen to keep the plants dormant. I have seen people take sheets of builders styrofoam and build a box to put over a container, with a hole for the planting to come thru. Think gigantic rose cone!

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here