Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melbeu_gw

Help way too many things popping up

melbeu
17 years ago

I just purchased a new home in December. The previous owner was really into his garden. I have apple trees, grape vines, rasberry bushes and flowers/plants like you wouldn't belive. I am wonderingg if any one can recommend a plant identifaction book that I can use as a guide as I learn my garden and decide what I want to keep and what I want to take out or move?

PS if anyone knows how to care for apple trees, grapesvines and or berry bushes any suggestions or words of wisdon would be greatly appreciated!

Note I have had a vegetable garden 2 years in a row and have also planted herbs so my gardening experience is very limited

Comments (5)

• cheryloz4
    17 years ago

Just guessing.....could it be fever few or some kind of mint plant? They are both fragrantand come up everywhere. Could you post a picture?
    Hmmmmmmmmm
    Cheryl

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

Hi, Lucky you to get a built in garden! You don't have to do anything to raspberry bushes, they grow fine on their own. Some people prune them and try to make them stay in a certain spot or grow between guide wires, but that isn't necessary. Just pull out or mow the ones that come up where you don't want them. Bugs don't really bother raspberries.

Grapevines should have some pruning done to them every year or two, but if you ignore that for one year (sounds like your yard might be overwhelming) there really won't be a problem. Unless you have trouble with them they don't need spraying with anything either. Fertilizing around the vines with compost never hurts. The Fruit & Orchard forum is a good place to ask for advice about berries, grapes, and apple trees. For the apple tree, you should be spraying with something after the blossoms fall, if you want to prevent bugs from getting them all. I have an organic fruit tree spray (powder) I got from Gardens Alive! and a 1 gallon size sprayer that I got for about $5 at Menards some years ago. There is also a dormant oil that you can use to spray stuff on so it sticks better and suffocates the worms I think.

Please don't kill any plants until you are sure it isn't 'something.' Offer plants you don't want to neighbors or on freecycle. The people who bought my house killed almost everything (10 fruit trees, raspberries, rhubarb, asparagus, thousands of flowers, etc.) They left one pear tree and the next owner took that down. It hasn't even been 3 years since I moved, sigh. Between the 2 sets of plant-hating new owners, they killed thousands of dollars worth of trees, shrubs, and flowers. I tried to talk to both sets of owners about the plants, they had no interest. If your previous owner is still alive, I am sure they would be glad to give you some helpful hints on what was where and how to take care of it. Try calling or writing them, gardeners usually love to talk about their gardens! You could at the least get some good plant IDs from them.

Good luck! Don't worry too much, remember that nature is good at growing things regardless of your help.

Marcia (hosting the SE WI plant swap on May 20th)

• elvis
    17 years ago

Good morning, melbeu! I can advise you on the berry bushes. I keep tame raspberries and wild blackberries. Early spring, before buds, clip off the top 1/3 of each live cane, and remove at ground level (some will pull right out easily) all dead canes--these were last year's fruiting canes. Mulch heavily with pine needles or leaves to keep weeds down and roots cool. Fertilize with 10-10-10 every year or so, spring or fall. Quite easy!

For the fruit trees, just remove all criss-crossing branches for better form and air circulation. The Orchard Forum should be helpful--

Plant ID book? Well, if they're wild, Audoban's (sp?) are good; but if they are non-native, the Name That Plant! Forum would be fun...

What an adventure! Enjoy your new garden,

Constance.

• melbeu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

All of you are wonderful thank you for your helpful information and effort. I will see about getting some pictures.

I am not sure if the garden is native in its plantings or what but I hope to someday find out :) I should really do a before and after photo as well. I think the last year or two the previous owner might not have spent as much time out there as a few thing seem to be over grown and in need of pruning and cleaning out.

I have walked around local nurseries and have only found a few of the plants that I see in my garden so this will sure be an exciting year.

IÂm just so scared to touch anything until I know what it is even though something looks dead. It doesnÂt help when many of the dead looking plants have live parts growing in and I have no idea what to do because I have no idea what it is and what care it needs.

All I need is a good book and this forum and I am on my way

Thanks Again,
    Melanie

• melbeu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marcia,

Your story about all your plants and trees and flowers makes me sad. I cannot relate one bit to someone that would want to do away with such wonders of the world. I understand some people donÂt enjoy t gardening, donÂt have time what ever but to have 10 fruit trees and all those things you mentioned and tear them down as if it was a rusty old fence just makes me so well sad :(

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022