Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What in the world is it?

Posted by melbeu 4a/4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 21:44

Ok I have this problem I bought a new house with a lovely garden that just needs a little helping hand however there is this beastly plant growing everywhere and I have no idea what it is. It looked kind of like parsley at first but it is not. It seems to be growing everywhere and in some places is taking the form of a bush. I believe it does flower. I cut and pulled the dead stuff from last year and it appeared to have very danty flowers on it and grew rather tall (about 12", It has a pretty good smell almost reminds me of something in a shampoo or hand lotion.

Anyone have any idea of what this might be?

Also I have a few huge fuzzy looking plants that resemble something I think would be seen in a cabbage patch?

All remarks will be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What in the world is it?

Just guessing....perhaps fever few or a mint plant? They are both fragrant and come up everywhere. Could you post a picture?
Hmmmmmmmmm
Cheryl

o

A really fuzzy soft plant could be lamb's ears, those are sort of gray, but not cabbage-y looking. Mullein is sort of greyish-green and very fuzzy too, has a rosette of fuzzy leaves and then the second year a tall stalk that goes many feet tall. Another guess would be sedum, it grows in tight clusters and looks kind of cabbage-y overall at this time of year. Like Cheryl said, photos would really help.

Marcia

o

Watch out for burdock! It starts with a rosette of cabbage-like leaves, then turns into a monster!

o

Have you considered taking samples of these two plants to a local garden center or to your UW-Extension office (every county has one--look in the phone book under County government or University of Wisconsin) for identification?

Call ahead to what ever place you are going to take them to, and ask if they have someone on staff to help with weed identificaiton.

o

The fuzzy one does sound like burdock http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/arfmi.htm
It can really be a problem so dig the root out with a shovel

Could the other one be garlic mustardhttp://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2001/jun01/weeds.htm#24

If you have a weed in your yard that you don't want, make sure it never flowers or goes to seed. I am not the one to talk about this, as I use a 8 by 10 foot trailer as a wheel barrow when I weed!

o

perhaps Queen Anne's Lace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here