Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
s/e wisconsin climate on Jane Magnolia

Posted by monsterfilmer (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 23:06

We recently planted a Jane Magnolia in our side yard... it gets full to moderate sun. It did well for a couple weeks but now the flowers are falling off(yet the plant itself is still healthy). I have no experience with magnolias. Is this normal and when do they bloom/how long do the flowers usually last?

thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: s/e wisconsin climate on Jane Magnolia

I'm not familiar with the particular Species 'Jane', but know that Magnolias have (like all spring bloomers) very short bloom times. Pair that with some windy and wild weather, and that is how long the flowers last. Many of my neighbors have Mags, and all have lost their blooms during the high winds weather we had lately in SE WI.

I planted an equally small tree at patio edge, called Tamarix, (which is a nasty wild shrub/tree in western states) but it is tall, whispy, and oh, so lovely in my SE
WI yard. It has magenta (teeny) florets nearly all summer.
Very few trees have that attribute. Next, I will try a smoke bush, I think.
Pondy

o
RE: s/e wisconsin climate on Jane Magnolia

Thanks. I've been noticing around town that all the magnolias are losing their flowers. I think ours lost it's flowers so soon because it is so small. But it is getting a second batch of flowers on it, meaning it went bare and is coming into bloom for the second time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here