Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandylovesflowers

What Happened to all my Weigela this Spring/Winter?

sandylovesflowers
17 years ago

I am baffled. I have three different types of Weigela (three of one kind and one each of two other types). This past winter, one died, and the other four look like they are half dead. Half of the branches are brown and dry the other half have leaves on them.

What happened, and what should I do? I am thinking that if I cut out what has died out, the shrub will look "funny", because in some cases, it looks like one side of the shrub is living, while the other side is dead. Should I just dig out and replace or give them a chance?

If I think back..... we had a few days in January where the temperatures got into the upper 40s/lower 50s. Could this have "hurt" them?

What do you think? Anyone else have this problem this year, too?

Sandy

Comments (14)

• tufameister
    17 years ago

I only have one but a few of the branches were also dead. However, mine is in the open and gets hammered with a lot of wind. I just cut the dead branches out.

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

My weigela is okay, but some evergreen shrubs that have been around forever died. I think it is because the weather was warm too long last year, then we didn't have a lot of snow, then we had a few terribly cold days in Jan. or Feb., remember when it was -20 for a couple days? Maybe it froze to death when there was no snow cover?

I think the plants got all confused even if they didn't die. My forsythia bloomed a little in late Nov. and did almost nothing this spring.

Marcia

• jlsch
    17 years ago

I had weigela that had patches of leaves - very scarce. I ended up pruning it all down to the ground and am going to see what will happen. I also have a sweet autumn clematis that is blooming now...so go figure.

• sandylovesflowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I cut mine back, too, but not to the ground. There was a lot of new growth coming in, so I decided to cut them all back - by more than half of the bush! They actually don't look too bad. Sweet autumn clemmie blooming? Hmmmm..... isn't that a fall bloomer? What's up with that?

Sandy

• jlsch
    17 years ago

I'm not sure about the clematis. I bought it last year and it bloomed in the fall and was labeled a sweet autumn, but perhaps it is something else? I can't say for sure.

• whiteowl1970
    12 years ago

my verigated weigela bloomed beautifully for two years. Now this spring the back half of mine has no leaves on it.. Its almost exactly half and half. Im not sure what to do.. Do I just cut back the dead and leave the front? Or do I cut back the whole plant. Ohio had a lot of snow this winter .. dont know if that was the problem.

• shembrey_illinois_edu
    12 years ago

@whiteowl
    I just noticed I've lost my varigated weigela this year, too! It's been in the ground for several years, and is protected from the wind. Not sure what happened, but the vast majority of the branches are dead. Maybe two or three have some leaves. It IS coming up from the ground. I think I'll cut it all the way back and hope for the best.

• emily_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

You may not need to cut it back. I had a very small Wine and Roses plant I thought I would be returning to the nursury this spring because all the branches were ashen and brittle. To my surprise in mid May all of the branches produced leaves and I am hoping now for flowers too :)

• George C. Sievers
    7 years ago

We had a very mild winter in eastern Kansas with one two week cold spell and very little rain. My Wine and Roses Weigela has mostly died. One plant which always had problems died totally. The other two are about half dead with some branches leafing out and (now) blooming and the others dead and new branches coming out of the roots. We are in zone 6a. My two Crape Myrtles also did not come back even tho the winter was mild and the saleslady said, "If they don't survive the winter they will sprout from the roots". Nope. Nadda damn sprout.

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    6 years ago

Zone 5, northeast Wisconsin 2017. My Variegated Weigela gets eaten down to the ground by rabbits about half the time. If the rabbits don't get it I get some die-back depending on the winter. Right now, beginning of June, it is wonderfully in full gorgeous bloom, and about medium size this year.

• George C. Sievers
    6 years ago

One of the Crape Myrtles finally did sprout. Some one told me Mother's Day would be the time to look for sprouts. And the two remaining Weigela are growing nicely from the roots. So all was not lost. I don't seem to have any trouble with rabbits (two dogs and a local fox) and deer.

• oldretcop
    6 years ago

This spring I had 2 variegated weigelas that died. Later, just as it was about to bloom (late May), I had a rose of sharon that died. A section at a time. Now in July another weigela, red one, is dying. A section at a time. All of these bushes had been here for more than 10 years. The weigela that is dying now bloomed profusely this spring. What is going on? All were in my back yard. None with any direct north wind. The 2 that died in early spring were right off the patio and the rose of sharon and other weigela are along the back fence some 20+ feet away. Makes no sense!!

• Jeanne Bishop (z5b WI)
    6 years ago

My Wine and Roses had a rough winter and i lost half of it. I cut off the dead part, and lived with a lopsided bush for a while. It has grown back.

Should i winterize it more? I assumed it was hardy for SE Wisconsin?

Sponsored