Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmers_gw

Looking for gardens to visit in sw WI

kimmers
17 years ago

Hi,

I live in Holmen near Lacrosse. My Mom is coming for a visit soon and I thought some garden tours would be fun. We're both avid gardeners. (She actually got it from me! LOL) So any suggestions? I have a few neighbors who will gladly allow us to visit but I'm looking for more.

Kimmers

Comments (6)

• kiendu
    17 years ago

Right in your area, I would suggest Shades of Green and Reeds Valley Hosta Farm. Reeds Valley is in Sparta and their number is 608-486-4126. Shades of Green has a website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Green

• andrewlina
    17 years ago

It may not be real close to you but there is Olbrich Gardens in Madison and Boerner Botanical Gardens near Milwaukee. They are both beautiful!

• farmerboybill
    17 years ago

I recommend The Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah Iowa. If you're inclined to walking they have something like 12 miles of trails through thier woods, pastures, and seed production gardens. Admittance is free. My wife and I went there last fall and made a day of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed savers site

• stumpie
    17 years ago

Hope this post isn't too late for your visit. I used to live in Downtown La Crosse. Unless things have changed a lot, Cass street down to the bluffs has some georgeous gardens attached to some beautiful Painted Lady Victorian homes. Once you get to the quieter part of that street (past Hwy 35 on 13th st. South and Cass), There are actally mansions. I would also reccomend (hope this doesn't sound morbid) a walk through the La Crosse Cemetery. It has beautiful with big old mosoleums of the Lumber Baron and Grain Baron families. It's accross from the UW campus on the North side. Also around there are some nifty walking trails and the La Crosse Zoo. Have fun.

• putzer
    17 years ago

I am in LaCrosse-hi neighbor! Recently, I got to walk through the garden on 10th street. Also, the "Doctor garden" is in the area-be sure to take a look at that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens

• kimmers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Mom's visit was cut short unexpectedly. I'll keep all your suggestions for her next visit!

Kim

Sponsored