Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato Bugs

Posted by smallaxe (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 9:32

I haven't done alot with potatoes in a while but this year have done it up nicely. The bugs appeared just last week. I have been killing adults and destroying eggs manually.
Has anyone found a successful tactic of keeping the potatoe bugs away? (without the use of pesticides).
Thanks, .rick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato Bugs

I take it from the lack of response the answer is 'no' ;-)

I don't grow potatos so have no experience with potato bugs, but I do have a lot of insects that like my veggy garden from cabbage loopers to cucumber beetles to whatever.

I generally spray plants typically bothered by insects with neem oil to keep the bugs disinterested and it works very well for me. Not sure if you are familiar with neem oil, but if not just google on it.

I suppose it is a pesticide, but it's not at all like Sevin and such.

For the most part insects seems to just avoid sprayed plants and it is non toxic to mammals, bees and pretty much anything that doesn't eat a plant sprayed with it. In fact honey bee keepers actually spray the bees with it to keep mites at bay.

If ingested by an insect it stops their feeding, prevents them from reproducing and they end up starving to death.

It is used in health care products meant to be applied to the skin as well as ingested so you know it's not something you have to worry about kids or pets with.

Even the japanese beetles avoid the grapes sprayed with it.

o
RE: Potato Bugs

I had heard about neem oil years ago, but never did anything with it. Now I shall.
Good idea,
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here