Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monica33flowers

Anyone have Hummingbirds?

monica33flowers
14 years ago

I guess the hummingbirds have been here since early May but I haven't seen one yet. Has anyone else sighted any hummingbirds?

Comments (7)

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I saw one fly through the yard a couple of weeks ago.

• madisonkathy
    14 years ago

I've seen a few on my honeysuckles. They also seem to like my annual geraniums (but not a one at my hummer feeder!)

• ptilda
    14 years ago

All day long they are enjoying our columbine and other plants (plus the feeder we put out for them)

• w8_4_me
    14 years ago

We have them galore. The little buggers are fighting all the time over whose feeder it is. They even fly though the mist as I water the garden. Had one land on me as a matter of fact. It was quite a treat.

• lamcon
    14 years ago

The last 3 weeks or so, they've been in our delphinium quite a bit.

• bmunsayac
    14 years ago

I bought some Alstroemerias at Jung in a hanging basket in the beginning of June. Since I've put them out on my front porch I've proabably seen this same hummingbird about 4 or 5 times on different occasions. Not sure of the variety and its entireley possible that is a different bird but they flit away so darn fast I don't get a chance to get a solid look. And go figure my DSLR is ALWAYS just out of reach when they little guy shows up!

• northerndaylily
    14 years ago

Somebody needs to TRAIN these birds... :)

Couple yrs back they'd come onto our 2nd story deck and feed with us sitting quietly within 4-6'. A few times those birds would come with a few feet of us.. what a thrill.. one of the great perks of summer & the work of making flower beds.

This season in particular the birds are wary.... seldom staying on the deck area when we're present. It got better as the summer wound down.. yet few 'close encounters of the H kind' as I label them.

A TRAINER.......... I am considering some kind of manikin/s to leave on the deck. Possibly one in the bad flower beds.. to get them used to the shape. Anyone tried or considered such an idea?

My BEST enounter of the 'H kind' was out in my daylily bed one morn. I was motionless reading a chart when a whirrrr went by me at around 2'... That hummer stopping around 12' away to feed. After a good long half minute of sipping nectar.. this one came BACK and eye-balled me.. at around 3-4'.... flying a tight pattern from side to side... giving me a good going over. This lasted say 8-10 seconds.. what a rush.. just COOL. And off she went.. a she for sure per markings.

The Lady of our house LOVES hummers.. it has rubbed off!