Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Cicadas anyone?

luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

I've heard the 17-year Cicadas will be emerging this year, at least in the southern part of WI, early this summer.

Has anyone seen any yet?

Julie, in Racine county

Comments (9)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

I have not seen any yet in Watertown. Last year I found a single cicada laying on it's back in my driveway. I had never actually seen one in person before, but recognized it from pictures.

I picked it up and it appeared healthy so I put it in a garden area by my front porch. It rewarded me with several nights of song so loud I could barely talk to the person next to me when we were outside on the porch.

I can't even imagine what it will sound like when there are hundreds or more doing their thing together.

Should be interesting.

• learningasigo
    16 years ago

I have been wondering where they are too after all the media attention their 17 yr. emerge has gotten. I live in SE WI just over the IL border. Haven't seen or heard any here. But just yesterday my son called to tell me had just driven through a swarm of them on his way home from work. He works in Rosemont, an older Chicago suburb near O'Hare airport. He said the noise was so loud he had to roll up his car windows. He said the high pitched noise actually hurt his ears. And he drove past a few trees that he estimated had about 500 cicadas each swarming around them. So maybe they are still making their way north. Jennie

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The first I read about them was in the Chicagoland Gardening magazine. The article said they would be emerging early summer. However, I've heard reports that they have already come out. I e-mailed the magazine contact person, and received a reply that they are indeed in Chicago by the droves!

I know that they won't be in agricultural areas because of the disturbed ground (which is all around our property). But we also have a fair amount of woods surrounding our home with older-than-17-yr-old trees. I was getting excited to hear/spot them, just to say I've experienced the grand episode.

Let us know, anybody, if you see them!

Julie

• madisonkathy
    16 years ago

I haven't seen them emerge yet, but I did dig up a few, when I put in a new garden last week.

• birkie
    16 years ago

I live on a hilly, wooded 300-acre farm 40 miles west of Madison where there are lots of old oaks, hickories, maples, etc. The cicadas have been emerging in our woods for at least a week with untold numbers added every evening. I can stand in one spot and see dozens splitting their skins and growing wings around dusk. It is an awe-inspiring sight. Such sights are evidently very spotty, however, and you may have to drive to find one. I understand there is good viewing at Blue Mounds and Lake Geneva, but anyone is welcome to come view ours.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Birkie,

That is so cool that you can witness the event!
    If you happen to take any photos, please post them if you can.

Julie

• ko2man_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

just heard them...louder than the morning birds, no one wants to believe me but I heard them before as I am gonna be 50 this month...the racket they make i can attest to, have seen the damange, but wasnt costly to me, was years ago & didnt know...never have forgotten that "noise" though, & yes there back!

• chrisknoll57_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Yes. Had one on my driveway in Eau Claire

• hnyb1998
    12 years ago

I found a cicada shell left on a pine tree trunk in my front yard a few weeks ago. Not sure how long it had been there. Haven't seen or heard anymore since then.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths