Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monica33flowers

Any Hummingbirds Yet?

monica33flowers
15 years ago

Hello,

I live near Madison and I was wondering if anyone has had any hummingbird visitors yet?

I don't know much about their migration habits, etc. But last summer I had six hummers and they were just so much fun to watch. I'm hoping they come back again but I just wasn't sure when they return to Wisconsin.

Comments (13)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Should have been here about a month or so ago. I seem to only get them as they pass through in spring and fall and their spring pass through was mid May for me. Other folks I know in southeast Wisc. have them all summer.

tj

• lpptz5b
    15 years ago

A pair hang around here every year.I even found a nest one year.
    I have been seeing them the last 2-3 weeks,they are feeding on colombine,fuchsia,snapdragon.
    I don't know if alot of noise will keep them away,but I would think if you plant what they like in a quiet place they will come.

lp

• mail-lady
    15 years ago

Hello - Put a hummingbird feeder out, just a cheaper one from Farm & Fleet is good, 4 parts water and 1 part suger is the rato for feeding, that will get their attention and then they will go into flowers as well. Hang it in plain sight, patio/porch, close to the house where you can enjoy them -- they will come right up close to you - I have them all summer in Milton, just south of you. Early morning and at dusk, they feed the longest .Lots of fun to watch, and once they come, you'll have them every year. Mary

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

I accidentally sprayed my huge honeysuckle vine that drew in the hummers, so havent seen them this year.
    What I DO have tho, is a flock of cedar wax wings. Right now they are decimating the 4 serviceberry trees and shrubs in my yard. Much to the dismay of the robins. Soon they will move on to another ripening fruit tree area.
    Pondy

• stubborn1
    15 years ago

We have had a pair of hummers hanging around for about 3-4 weeks now. I'm outside of Oconomowoc. The feeder seems to keep them coming back - usually near dusk.

• mr.mader
    15 years ago

Have 2 feeders out, haven't seen one yet!

• aka_margo
    15 years ago

I was in Crivitz last weekend and the hummingbirds were everywhere. I didn't realize I was standing by the feeders my mom put out, and they were buzzing around my head like flies.

• retiredtraveler
    15 years ago

I live close to Lake Geneva and I don't see hummers until the Monarda is in full bloom. It's just starting now, so I expect to the the little guys in the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of hundred square feet of solid Monarda (Bee Balm) behind my house so I attract them.

• klinger112
    15 years ago

Seen a couple in May/June but haven't seen any now for a couple of weeks we have 2/3 feeders.

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

I took mine down about a couple weeks ago since I thought I missed the migration. I didn't realize we have them here year round. I'm in the Milwaukee area.

When do you usually put the feeders out? As early as April or May? Mine didn't go up until June.

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

We live in a rural area and our yard borders a woods.
    We don't have any HB feeders (too many bees!) but there's a pair of HBs around....one of them comes out every morning like clockwork and buzzes around the window trying to get to the indoor plants.

• upnort
    15 years ago

they should be leaving my area shortly going south, so watch for them.

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Just saw one yesterday in Watertown. Just for a second and it was gone. It was investigating daylillies, then impatiens and then left.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner