Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_dally_gw

Hey, how 'bout that rain!

dilly_dally
14 years ago

Anyone lose anything? My garden is smashed. It wasn't just the pounding rain that did it. In my area the water was so deep it came over the curbs and ran like a rushing river through yards. things like Chives are laying flat and all facing the one direction that the water gushed. There are trash cans, patio furniture, children's toys and even an empty propane tank strewn in the street.

I did end up with some "free" Dahlias that washed into my yard from someone's garden. They look like they were recently planted because the roots are compacted into that square shape like they just came out of the pot. I'm going to give them a new home.

All this rain and cooler than average temps in May and June, has not been good for my Pepper plants.

Comments (9)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

From 12am Thurs. to 9pm Friday we had 6". I was lucky, all my plants are ok except the irises. They were blooming nice, but with all the rain they looked like they melted. Well, it was near the end of their blooming time anyways.
    My green peppers and tomatoes were pretty much at a stand still with that cool weather we were having. This coming week we should be in the 80s, so there's hope now! :-)

Kat

• lamcon
    14 years ago

We're back at the point that we could really use some rain. Hopefully not to that extent, though. Getting pretty dry around Madison.

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Yes, we could really use some rain now! We get 4" in late April and then 3" in late June...now nothing.

I've had 0.5" since June 21st. I've put in about 100 shrubs and 10 trees since 07....lack of rain has been killing me.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It looks like you got your wish. Did you get all the rain we just had Saturday........and Sunday.

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Absolutely nothing! Things might be looking up tonight though. I'm still @ 0.5" in the last 31 days.

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

SERIOUSLY! Can Menomonee Falls contine to get missed by all the scattered showers?

Milwaukee recorded July as the 4th driest on record. They measured 0.71" for the month. Last year August was the 2nd driest on record.

Day 41 and I'm at 0.75"....WTF!

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

I live in southern Milwaukee county and we really need the rain too. The grass is starting to get brown in some areas. Luckily we haven't had the really hot weather, so the lawn isn't too bad. Just took a look at the 10 day outlook at weather.com. Looks warm, but there's a good chance of rain too. I just hope we get it.

Kat

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Well, looks like you definately got some rain this past weekend.

We got 1.5", one of the lightest levels in SE WI. So that puts us at 2.25" for 53 days!

Freaking Lacrosse got 6"!!! Come on spread the love.

Governor announced a state of emergency due to the drought conditions (at least most areas in WI...obviously not Lacrosse).

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

"Freaking Lacrosse got 6"!!! Come on spread the love.
    Governor announced a state of emergency due to the drought conditions (at least most areas in WI...obviously not Lacrosse)."
    LOL! That was good! We got almost 3" this past weekend. The grass is looking a little better now. We were on vacation in the Minocqua-Woodruff area for the last 2 wks in July. We got a good amount of rain during that time, but they were still below the average. You could see the lakes were below their norm. We were kind of lucky. It mostly rained late at night or early in the morning. But the temps were well below average.

Kat

Sponsored