Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

ground squirrels!!

grullablue
13 years ago

I'm sitting here holding my breath! For almost 10 years I've been neglecting planting along the foundation in a certain spot...just for lack of a green thumb. I've finally done it this year, and I'm having a problem that I'm afraid may threaten my plants, one of them being my beloved scarletta fetterbush that I had a hard time finding, and have been unable to find any mates for. I have my scarletta, hostas and some japanese painted ferns growing here. And some ground squirrels have moved in (what appear to be what they call the 13-lined ground squirrel?) HOW CAN I GET RID of them? Or make this place less desirable for them? There is a cement porch here, and I believe they have a burrow somewhere underneath, I don't know for sure. I have put mulch down and they are stirring dirt right back up, creating holes everywhere, and I'm not sure if they pose a threat to my plants now or what. How can I get these things out of here? We have them all over the place, I live in the country...and have just agreed to "have" to live with the small holes in my 2 acre yard...but I don't want them in my planting bed! I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide! And hey, if by chance anyone knows anyone who is selling scarletta fetterbush (leucothoe fontanesiana 'zeblid') please let me know! I'm in southern WI near Madison.

Angie

Comments (11)

• skeip
    13 years ago

Not exactly sure what ground squirrels are, gophers? chipmunks? Something like that. I've had reasonably good luck with mothballs in the burrows. Seems to drive them away.

Steve

• mrswaz
    13 years ago

I had ground squirrels a few years ago. I got rid of them all right, using what I call "The Final Swim". If you want to be humane and let them live, then you might want to try live traps, but I had 100% success with the swimming pool for rodents.

I shared the method with friends who had a chipmunk infestation in their attic, and it worked great for them as well.

I got the idea from the thread that I will link to below. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Effective ground squirrel control

• dickiefickle
    13 years ago

Try jalapeno juice or cayenne pepper

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

PButter is a good idea... I use Rodent Bait.... ala vole bait from I think Fleet Farm. Spinkle it onto the baiting area of those black plastic traps.. the rat size I believe.. they have to work around the release to get the bait. Also kills if they comsume.. same for the voles mice et al.

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

:). Got #36 out of the trap this morn.

Add 11 easter bunnies to my grand total.

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

The use of moth balls in an attic or other spaces to get rid of squirrels in the attic is illegal in all 50 states. If you use moth balls to get rid of squirrels, bats in the attic, and raccoons in the attic or any other vertebrate pest or even suggest their use to someone you are committing, at least a misdemeanor, and even a felony in many states.

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

"The use of moth balls in an attic or other spaces to get rid of squirrels in the attic is illegal in all 50 states. If you use moth balls to get rid of squirrels, bats in the attic, and raccoons in the attic or any other vertebrate pest or even suggest their use to someone you are committing, at least a misdemeanor, and even a felony in many states"

A felony.. no less. But YES.. vermin is much more important than a person's ability/right to protect his/her property. I mean.. let the vermin chew the heck otta the house.. we all know they HAVE the right too........:).

ONLY jabbing at the idiocy of this 'law'.. nothin' else.. it's just moronic to consider laying the "law" onto someone for doing such. And more proof.. the neeee-ander-thall LIVES>>>>>>>

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

I just knew moth balls in particular were a problem, that's way I looked it up and posted that quote.

They pose a threat to human healthy as the vapors travel from the part of the house they are used in to the living space. They are also highly toxic to non-target species, including dogs and cats.

"Repeated inhalation of fumes or ingestion of a few mothballs can be fatal. Especially, for children, elderly people, pets and indirectly for fetuses."

It sounds to me like there is a reasonable explanation as to why they banned moth balls for pest control -- the dangers to non-target animals.

I don't think the law was in any way designed to protect vermin, it is to protect humans, including children, and domestic animals from exposure to or ingestion of a hazardous chemical.

Jamie

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

Well said Jamie.. yet how many kids.. people reside in one's attic? Is an attic a living space for most of us?

As for all the EPA rot.. couldn't that be said of.. say gasoline.. any petrol agent of that type.. that list of 'legal' substances that can cause 'harm' is longer than your arm.

Consider the poor moths.... what about them.. ? :)

Another angle.. if all these idiot pet owners kept their 'pets' from roaming.. there'd be NO problem with them injesting said agent. Of course.. the many pet owners are responsible.. not letting rover and those feline fea bags deposit trinkets onto others lawns... yet those that allow their 'pets' to roam.. what happens.. happens. After all.. then they are breaking a LAW........ then.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

As jamiedolan pointed out, the vapors of mothballs are a threat beyond the attic. Therefore the irresposibility lies with the one who chose to use mothballs thinking touching, ingesting, or needing to be in the immediate area were the only issues. Too often the kneejerk response involves toxins when much safer effective measures are available. To use the gasoline metaphor, its like using gasoline to light candles on birthday cake.

tj

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

This is a medical report that shows how serious exposure to moth balls can be.

http://www.nature.com/jp/journal/v24/n12/full/7211195a.html

Similar events have occurred when moth balls have been used inappropriately for pest control, and the fumes drift / draft through the home, causing illness.

I'm all for getting rid of destructive pests, but please use safer methods.

Sponsored