Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threegrowingboys

Stevens Point Gardener

threegrowingboys
15 years ago

Hi All!

I just love this website. I am a seriously addicted gardener. It has become an obsession in just over a year. I went from one 10 by 20 vegetable garden plot to one 16 by 25 vegetable garden plot, one 15 by 15 vining vegetable plot, multiple flower beds and lots of pots! I enjoy this website as you guys understand me...my friends just think I am nuts! I am a working mom of 3 boys and struggle with finding time to get it all done. But because I enjoy it so much (as so do my boys) I seem to find the time somewhere. My husband think I am nuts too :). I would love to talk to anyone in the Stevens Point area that shares my passion for gardening. Thanks for all of the great tips everyone, although I have only posted twice I have been lurking here for almost a year. I have learned so much from all of you.

Jenny

Comments (6)

• sunshinemartinis
    15 years ago

Welcome Jenny....I myself am a newbie.......

You're not nuts....you're firmly rooted!!!

I lived for a few years by you...sorta...Neillsville..if you know where that is :)

:)

• bj-naryc
    15 years ago

Hi all!
    Just found this site cause I was looking for some answers.
    I love it! I am a fairly new gardener...in the Stevens Point area.
    I have trouble with rabbits eating the tops off of newly planted bean, cabbage, ect. plants. May be a dumb question but, will I have to re plant? (I have never had this problem before.) Or will the plants regrow? I just put up new fencing today to hopefully keep them out now.
    Thanks for any help I can be given!

• threegrowingboys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had the same problem last year. I fenced them and gave them a little extra water and love and they grew back. It is much earlier in the season than when it happened to me. If I were you, I would see if they come back in the next week or so. If they don't, then plant more seeds. It is still so early, they will have plenty of time to grow. Dang Rabbits! They are lucky they are cute!

It is nice to chat with someone in Point :)

• threegrowingboys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Love the name and the gardening attitude! I know where Neilsville is! Did you move from the area?

• loria
    15 years ago

Hi Jenny--I live near Arpin (between Marshfield and Wis Rapids) I am familiar with Point, as my brother lives there and my sister did, also, for the past 30 years or so. I have 3 kids, too--but my 'baby' just graduated..and I have a grandbaby, too:) Anyhoo, I love gardening, like you do, although I suck at food gardens (and containers, too--mostly cuz I forget to water them!!) I can grow perennials, though:) mostly cuz it's 'survival of the fittest".....once they get established, I let them do their thing. Plus I make sure that what I buy is for our zone---I pity the poor people who purchase things at Menards, thinking they will return the next year and find out it has died off over the winter cuz it wasn't for this zone!! The only things I really 'baby' are the roses that I have, and that consists of applying systemic food/insect control twice or so a summer. And, Round-up (or a cheaper version that I found) is my friend, as well:)

I love going to the area flower shops (all the way over to Greenwood--and then to Rapids and Point (I LOVE LENSMEIERS),looking for something I don't have. It's great fun!!

I also sell plants in the spring. Just got rid of the last of the ones I had today. Only sell 'em for a buck or two--they are just the 'volunteer' seedlings that pop up and I cannot bear to just put them in the compost pile, so I pot 'em up! The proceeds help fund the addiction:) (and, this year, they helped 'fund' the 30 or so grad parties that we have been invited to this year:)

My husband probably thinks I'm nuts, too, but he doesn't say too much--I can re-arrange the living room and he notices it, maybe a week later:) so he really can't tell when I tuck a plant (or dozen) around the yard, here and there. ALso, he is restoring a 1969 Mustang Fastback, so if he ever does say anything, I can play the "Mustang card":)

Well, enough carrying on---I really should do the dishes!!

Happy gardening!!

• auben
    15 years ago

I'm from the Rapids area (Port Edwards) and gardening is my latest obsession. I have four small boys (3-9).

I don't think I'm as far gone as you are, but I am experimenting with vegetable gardening and have more tomato plants in my backyard garden then most people think anyone needs.

I'm allowing myself to make a lot of mistakes this year. It's so fun to learn! My challenges are limited sunlight (darn trees) and too much help (from a manic dog and helpful 3 year old).

Here is a link that might be useful: Land of the Lost Surprise