Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Russian Sage

Posted by osmom WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 17:50

Hello, I am hoping you can help me. I dug up one of my Russian sage's to plant where I had lost one this past winter. I also bought a new one to put in the dug up one's spot. Anyways the one I dug up and replanted (in the lost one's spot) looks wilted- its still green. I think I may have put it into shock. Is there anything I can do?

Btw, a day ago I added some soot stimulator to water and watered it with that.

Thanks for the help
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Russian Sage

They wilted when I moved mine in May of last year, so I imagine moving them now would do the same. As you undoubtedly discovered, they have a veeeeeeery long taproot. If we keep getting the rain we've been getting it should recover.

tj

o

I moved mine and it was sulking too, so I was watering it regularly. Now with all the rain it looks ok.

o

Russian Sage resents being moved -- in case you hadn't noticed. It may "sulk" for quite a long while. Just be patient, and keep it watered without overwatering it, and it should come back. These are hardy plants. When we moved into our new home, I transplanted 6 Russian sages, and I didn't lose any, but they were very "sulky" for quite some time. The one thing I did that I believe helped a lot was to cut back the top right down so that there was only about 3 inches of foliage for the roots to support. This may help in your case if your plant is still "sulky". And don't worry about cutting it back at this stage. It's so early in the season that the only thing it will do is make it bloom slightly later than it would have, and it will be a little shorter -- no harm at all to the plant. MacThayer

o

A good idea Macthayer. My Russian Sage has seeded and rooted itself all over a big area of my south border. I want to transplant it all to a backyard spot, but was dis-heartened by the looks of some I dug for a friend.
They still may sulk, but by cutting them down, at least I wont have to see the wilt. Thanks for the good idea.
Pondy

o

Hi; I need to move my Russian Sage, I have 3 and want to replant them so they are happy and bushy. Now they are tall but not strong so they are easily blown sideways. AND THE RABBITS think they are a lovely winter salad.
Q: should I trim back in Fall? or cover them somehow to save?
Q: When is the best time to transplant?
THX! PS I live in North/Central Iowa

o

I have only moved mine in spring. Since they say they overwinter better with their stalks left on, I'd suspect spring is the better time but that's just a guess.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here