Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columbines need help!!

Posted by snakz4_wi z4 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 21:52

Something is eating the leaves of my Columbines plants. No other plants is affected. What is it and what do I need to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columbines need help!!

Sawfly caterpillar. I've been spraying mine with dish soap and water. Otherwise squishing em works.

The bottom half of mine are leaf free. Otherwise they are still in bloom.

Hope this helps.

o

Isn't is frustrating? It happens every year nonfail. If you spray them right away you can catch them before it gets too bad. Then they look so sad by the time they go to seed I try to immediately cut the seed pods off so they put energy into growth instead.

o

• Posted by
    garden.fun z4
    (gw:garden.fun) on
    Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 15:52

Does it look like little tunnels? If so it is leaf borer. It doesn't hurt the plant it just makes them ugly. This happens to mine that are in the sun, but not the ones in the shade. I don't know why. Anyway, I read that if you cut them back they are supposed to grow new nice leaves and the leaf borers are then gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here