Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetpetiole

Hosta warning

janetpetiole
16 years ago

I was at Menards (Grand Chute location) the other day and noticed that some of the hosta in the garden center had HXV.

Comments (15)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Did you mention it to the store manager?

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wasn't sure so I looked on the internet. I will go back this weekend.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

My mom purchased a Sum&Substance at Memorial Gardens in Appleton last year. I was looking at her garden the other day, and it has HVX.

I was at the National Hosta Convention last week. We toured about 16 private gardens. One of the gardens had 5 plants that were virused, including one very huge Sum and Substance.

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There too? It seems like few places are safe to buy form anymore. Maybe I'll just make an annual trip to FoxFire gardens, so I won't have to worry about it. I wonder if Scenic View offers a guarantee.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Not growing many Hostas, I have never heard of this...could someone elaborate on this condition?

Dave
    Franklin

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

I have about 10 hosta plants. What is this HVX? One more thing I have to worry about? Pondy

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The first webpage is information on HVX, and below that is a thread from the hosta forum, with photos I took of infected plants.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVXUpdate1.htm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg062031537966.html?22

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I stopped at Memorial Gardens and the Plant Station today. Both places had hostas that had HVX. The lady at the Plant Station was being very rude to customer while I was there so I decided not to tell her, but I did show & explain it to the people at Memorial. I always make sure to tell them it is nothing that they did, it came from their supplier.

I am pretty sure Scenic View claims to be HVX free. I remember seeing it on their price list. I have never seen it there (yet). I am going back up to Crivitz Sunday, so I plan on stopping at Woodland Gardens to get some more hostas. Her plants are huge and disease free.

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That lady at the Plant Station is something else. She has a great place, but her business would be better if she was a little more pleasant.

Woodland Gardens sounds nice. - No website, but I found a brief explanation of the gardens.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Woodland Gardens is really nice. She is in the middle of the woods (in the middle of no where). One half of her huge yard is hosta beds, and then the other half is her nursery where she digs up plants you want. You pay a little bit more, but you get a huge mature division. She is only open until July 7th. However you can go until Sept 4th by appointment, your group just have to spend at least $100. She is retiring this year, and next year will only be open by appointment.

The Plant Station-This lady was trying to point out that something was wrong with a plant, and they lady at the Plant Station was saying, "It's on sale for $7.99, you can't expect to get a perfect plant for $7.99!" I was thinking I could pick up lots of perfect plants for under $7.99.

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

On your recommendation, and that I didn't feel like digging and getting sweaty and dirty on such a beautiful day, I went to Woodland Gardens yesterday. It really is a beautiful place! I have 6 new hosta, but could have left with many more.

If you think about it, tell the Woodland Gardens lady that I think the large flat stone on her deck is unpolished granite, however, I am not positive. If she is interested in getting it correctly identified, she could take it to the granite place on hwy 141.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Doesn't she have some beautiful gardens? If I would have known you were going up there you could have stopped by and visited us in Crivitz. My parents have a place up there, so I was there Saturday until yesterday.

I spent about 2 hours at Woodland Gardens on Sunday. So which ones did you get????

I picked up:
    Lakeside Cha Cha
    Sea Sprite
    Sea Octopus
    Flower Power
    Yingerii (my friend really wanted this one)

Then Monday on the way home we made an appointment with Ron at the House of Hosta. There I picked up:
    Hirao Majesty
    Hawkeye
    Sultana
    Kofukiiwa Fukurin

That was me trying to use self control!

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Her gardens are beautiful! I was most taken with her island garden of mini hosta. Do you know what the yellow flowered plant she had growing in most of her beds among the hosta? It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember the name.
    Oh, btw.... Did you check for ticks. My husband found one imbedded into his side, and I had to pull it out. *shudder*

You only purchased 8 hosta for yourself? I think you showed a lot of self control. :-)

I would have loved to visit you, but we were only there on Friday. It was a spur of the moment thing - wanting to do something a little different, but only having one day without obligations.

The hosta I got when we were in Crivitz:

Allan P McConnell
    June
    Little Sun Spot
    Pacific Blue Edger
    Popo
    Sun Power

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

If I remember right the yellow flowering plant mixed in with her hostas is corydalis lutea. If you like it, I might have some I can dig up.

My friend and I took my dog for a walk on Monday morning while the guys were out fishing. She found 4 ticks on her afterwards. None on myself or the dog.

• janetpetiole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's it! lol. I could remember lutea, but not corydalis. Thanks for the offer for the plant, but first I have to completely re-arrange the shade bed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH