Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dickiefickle

How poor is the wet crops

dickiefickle
13 years ago

Last year was excellent for growing tomatoes until they met their demise with late blight,,,this year has been a poor year due to all this "danged "rain,,early blight ..the peppers are worse off then the toms with hardly any growth and mosquitoes are the worse I can remember ...well they do get plenty of water... they are starting to crack after the rain..also have toads like I never seen before

Comments (5)

• northerndaylily
    13 years ago

Just a tad under 9" in our area... sandy.. we can handle it.

Corn is like some exotic weed.. got it in later.. already 5' tall.

Thing is.. great for recharging ground water.. which we NEED.

• cukesalad
    13 years ago

Dickiefickle,

Exact same scenario here with my garden. My tomato plants look horrible with spotted wilted foliage all over. I have been picking a few tomatoes already though, almost a month ahead of when they typically ripen! My pepper plants are puny and yellow but do have a few sad looking peppers on them. What a year! At least my garlic turned out alright, and so far my cukes look good too.

• skeip
    13 years ago

Madison area here. 5.5" rain last Thursday, then another 2.5" on Friday, and that's after the June monsoons. Tomato plants are over the tops of the 7' trelises, but not a lot of fruit set. Peppers are small and rangey, only a few setting fruit. Garlic was great, got it out before it rotted. Cucumbers doing well, Cole crops look good, wonderful Bok Choi and Kale. Winter Squash vines taking over, not a lot of fruit set. And I've only picked 6 Zuchinni from two plants so far. Unthinkable! Not my best garden of the past 5 years that's for sure.

Steve

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Not a good year for tomatoes that's for sure. Most of them just rotted on the vines. I just picked two red bell peppers, but one as a soft spot. There are two other small fruits on that plant. The green bell has two small fruits, that's it. None of the hot pepper plants had any blossoms. The basil plants are monsters this year. I didn't know basil plants could get so big. All the other herbs did well except for thyme. The Brussels sprouts are doing very well. It's my first year growing them, so I didn't know what to expect. I'll have plenty for the freezer and some to share, that is if I can find someone who wants them ;).

• lamcon
    13 years ago

We installed a small above ground garden this year for our first attempt at growing herbs / veggies. We wanted to make it a size that our little ones could get in an harvest, which they loved doing.

Our cucumbers resembled small watermellons and grew fast.

Basil went extremely well. We have more of that than we know what to do with.

Chives were steady all along (we learned we don't need as much of that).

Tomatoes plants grew tall, but weren't terribly productive. Where the blossom fell off, we often had some dry spot. It sounded like that was from inconsistent moisture. We had a two-week spell where we had some good tomatoes, and then they just started looking awful.

Green pepper plant had hardly anything on it except one little pepper, which was kind of cute.

We also had some space and decided to throw in a green been or two. They would only grow about 8 inches tall. Occassionally they'd shoot out one giant bean, but that was it.

We planted strawberries elsewhere. Those are looking great and we're hoping we can get some fruit from them next summer.

It's been a fun experience. We like to think we learned some things this year and will do better next year.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals