Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
upnortdareh

Deer Repellent

upnortdareh
17 years ago

Has anybody tried the repellent Deer Out?It is a herb base with oils and has a mint smell to it. A lady in the 3 lakes area has used it and found it works well for her .Anybody else? Upnortdareh

Comments (6)

• username_5
    17 years ago

Forget about it. If you have a deer problem get an 8' tall fence. It costs less than all the concoctions this person or that swears by and only lasts a few days at best.

Bite the bullet, put up the fence and be done with it.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Amen. If deer are your _only_ animal problem, and if you have a large perimeter to fence, you could go with an electric fence. Faster to put up, and considerably cheaper. I got away with it for 10 years, until bunnies figured out they could just jump through it this year. Just check it frequently, deer will run right through the wire if spooked. There are solar fence chargers for remote areas.

If bunnies, 'coons, or ground hogs are also a problem, you'll need rabbit fencing, and you're back to ..."bite the bullet" ;-)

• upnortdareh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Iam not trying to start and argument about deer protection , but there are many people that have very good luck with the sprays . One of the biggest drawback is the foul odor some of them produce.Deer Out has a pleasant smell, which is why I was wondering if other people are using it.---Upnortdareh

• paquebot
    17 years ago

One tablespoon of Bulliard's Louisiana Supreme Garlic Hot Sauce in a quart of water, applied as a spray, WILL keep deer, rabbits, and groundhogs from eating anything! I have a 36x50 plot with the entire perimeter being a continuous 172' row of black tepary beans. Local groundhog will not even try to enter my plot. Deer walk right beside bush bean blocks without a single leaf taken. Three other gardeners in our complex are also using a similar combination. If something smells like garlic, the deer know that it's also nasty tasting!

Martin

• elvis
    17 years ago

I love it! I bought a gallon jug in 2004; still have 1/2 left (dilute 10 to 1). Spray on new growth (every 10 days or so). The deer haven't bothered anything I treat this way. Including hostas, which are not fenced. My veggie garden is fenced (6'), and has never been jumped, knock on wood, so I don't treat that. The stuff is not that expensive in my book, bought online direct from the company...just my 2 cents based on personal experience.

Go for it, I say!

• lynxville
    17 years ago

This year I bought a motion sensor lawn sprinkler. Got it at Northern Tool. So far it's worked excellent. My friend has an 8 foot fence and the deer can clear it. A person down the road from me that raises apples and grapes uses a 10 foot fence and I believe it may be electric, that should work, but it's ugly and expensive. An apple orchard by me uses the canons to spook the deer, worked for a month or so.

Sponsored