Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davej_07

Many thanks to Northern Grown Perennials

davej_07
14 years ago

My wife and I run a St Bernard rescue in Wisconsin. This year we decided to try selling hosta as a fundraiser for the rescue. After some dividing with myself and my father we had our plant sale and it was a huge success. Not long after that we though why not get some nursery stock and plan our sale for next year. Long story short, Rod Lysne at Northern Grown Perennials provided us with some GREAT plants and great prices for the rescue to use for fundraising. My dad and I spent a couple hours yesterday potting out the 2 boxes we received and as it turns out theres a third box coming today. Look at the following pics and I think you'll agree, great divisions of nice healthy plants.

Thanks

Dave

Comments (6)

• madisonkathy
    14 years ago

Wow! Kudos to you for running a rescue, and kudos to NGP for sending such terrific plants! I like to order in-state, and after seeing your plants, checking the Garden Watchdog (all positives), and browsing their web site, I know where I'm going to get my hostas and daylilies next year.

• pondwelr
    14 years ago

I am drooling, and if I knew what town you lived in, would
    make plans to attend your next fundraiser.
    Like Kathy, I plan to log on to NGP and do some ordering.
    Their good deed to your organization can, and should, reap
    many rewards.

Cant hostas be planted in summer or fall? And, where will you keep these lovely specimens until your next fund raiser?
    Pondy

• davej_07
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are located in Oak Creek Wi. South suburb of Milwaukee. They are potted up and are placed in a corner of the gardens to be watered and cared for. They will overwinter there and We are planning on having our first sale Memorial Day. I'll be posting a notice about it when we do:)

Thanks everyone for your kind words,

Dave

• luvtosharedivs
    14 years ago

Wow, Dave, what a wonderful idea!

I have ordered from NGP several times, and they send huge, healthy plants.
    They were very generous to give you great prices.
    You've lined them up beautifully for display!
    Good luck with your sale.

Pondy,
    You can plant Hostas any time of the year that your ground can be worked. I've divided and replanted Hostas Spring, Summer, and very early Fall. If planted late in the season, I'd make sure you get them in the ground at least 6 weeks before hard frost for your area.

Julie

• pondwelr
    14 years ago

Hey Julie, have you ever tried to transplant hostas that the deer have chewed to the ground? I had sum and substance, and seiboldii Elegans, and another hosta, all chopped down. Instead of moving, should I spend the money for posts and fencing to protect these lovlies?

So far, the newbies that I planted last fall in my front garden are unharmed, and have survived. Pondy

• luvtosharedivs
    14 years ago

Pondy,
    I don't have the deer problem, so none of mine have ever been eaten to the ground.
    Goodness, Hosta plants are like candy to them (I hear.)

Your hostas (that were deer candy) might be alright to move to a new location, like your front garden where the others were unharmed - if there's room, or somewhere near the house where deer may not roam. If the deer ate them recently, then the Hostas have had a good amount of the season to grow and add nutrition to the roots, giving the plants a better chance of transplanting shock/survival. However, if the deer chowed down early in the season and you've seen no new growth for a while now, the plants are probably dead.

I've heard of people using fencing, but deer can jump fences, unless you put up two sections around your garden. Deer don't like to jump in the middle of the fences because they feel trapped. That's a lot of investment for just a few Hostas. There are also products and home concoctions that people use, to keep deer away, but I'm not familiar with them, since I put nothing on my plants, not even slug bait.

I would also submit your question to the Hosta forum.

Let us know what you decide.

Julie

Sponsored