Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Planted a zone 6 perennial by mistake

Posted by gunnysax Zone 5 ~ SE Wi (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 11:15

Darn it. It was just what I was looking for. Tall,
pretty and purple. Got so excited I forgot to look at the tag until after I planted it. Its a Black Adder Hyssop zone 6-10 perennial.
Do you think I can winter it over here in zone 5? If so, how can this be done?
It will be in full south sun all day in winter, and it is planted against the back of the garage.
Thanks for any replys. Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Planted a zone 6 perennial by mistake

Mulch in the winter. Sounds like the location is as close to ideal to try 'zone pushing'. I would say you have a reasonable chance of it making it through.

o

I bought one this spring too. I've seen it listed as anything from zone 5 to zone 7. It's a new variety so I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. I bought it because it is a close relative of Blue Fortune Agastache which is hardy to zone 5. These are supposed to do better if they don't get wet in the winter and have a rock mulch. Let's hope both our plants do well.

o

I have a few zone 6 and zone 7 plants. Usually I cover them with as much snow as possible in winter. It is not only the cold that kills them though, many times they rot in the ground from our wet fall and spring.

o

I don't know if this will work but I've read about them doing it to bushes in the far NE states like Vermont and New Hamshire. Find some way to wrap loosely wrap burlap around it and stuff the inside with straw or leaves. I did the same thing as you, except mine is a clematis Montana Rubens. It was sold at Menards and the tag said that is was hardy to zone 4 but after doing some reading I have found out that it may survive the winter up here but the foliage will almost completely die back to the ground so I never get any flowers! It only blooms on old wood. I am going to try the burlap thing myself this winter so I thought I'd mention it. I really hope it works.

Kimberly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here