Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arugula_gw

Good foundation shrubs for clay soil? part-sun

arugula
15 years ago

Looking for attractive plants or shrubs that ideally won't root deeply into the foundation and cause leakage issues. Needs to be low-maintenance and not require regular watering. Blooming would be great. Fragrant even better.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• jackbenny
    15 years ago

Well I'm growing 3 azaleas next to the house currently, and my soils is...well lets just say if I dig deep enough I hit solid red clay pure enough to make pots and ashtrays. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't amend the soil with organic matter to improve drainage before putting in plants. Azaleas bloom, you can find fragrant ones, and they dig the shade.

However, one of them doesn't seem happy. I'm not entirely certain why it droops and the others don't, but since it is just the one, I figure it is an isolated problem.

As for the deep rooting...so far I haven't gotten any roots in the basement.

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

'Knock out' rose is rated as hardy to your z4. Small, but not very fragrant, and easy care.
    Or, how about peonies instead of the usual shrub? They have great foliage all year long.
    Many spirea come in mini sizes now, so would save pruning, etc.
    As far as your soil, agree with jackbenny that you really should amend with compost. I always use peat moss too, but some folks object to using it. Dig in your amendments to at least 15 inches as you mix it with your native soil.
    Then plant your choice of shrub 2½ to 3' away from the house foundation. They will look stupid at first, but you will be glad in 3 years when they've grown.

I'm not a fan of foundation shrubs, but then, I have a ranch that sits low, with no visable foundation. Next week am having the last two shrubs in my front yard, pulled out. Yea!
    I have shrubs galore in beds and lot line gardens, but very few next to the house.

Anyway, good hunting. Pondy

• arugula
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I should have mentioned that we already have peonies, spirea, and roses on the other side, so looking for something else. I like the rose glow barberry I just planted for my mom. Anyone have experiences with that plant? I think the azaleas might be too unhappy in the soil there. I know amending it is best, but the reality is that my composting and pampering attention goes to the veggie and flower gardens first. We have many areas to attend to, so the hardier the plant, the better.

Thanks again!

• mail-lady
    15 years ago

I have 5 rose-glow barberry on the west side of my house foundation - this is the third year for them and they are looking great. I just planted them, watered that first year to get them started, mulched them heavy with shredded bark -- and they really are nice. They show up nice againest the foundation, and basically no maintainence needed. They are slow growers tho, so may want to buy with that in mind. Mary

• whaas_5a
    15 years ago

There are a million shrubs that could be used...hopefully you found something based on the exposure.

I did want to suggest that ammending the soil is totally not necessary and not recommended, unless you have a needy shrub, like an Azaela. You'd have to dig the hole as wide and deep as the mature size of the plant for it to do any good....this is ecspecially true for clay soils. Now I guess it doesn't matter as much if we are talking about a 3 X 3 mature plant.

Sponsored