Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Categorizing Fragrance

Posted by bmunsayac 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 13:51

I posted this in Fragrant Forum but thought Id resource my fellow Wisconsinites...

Please categorize the following fragrances:
Star Jasmine
Miss Kim Lilac
Mock Orange
Fragrant Phlox
Fragrant Hosta
Daphne
Fragrant Milkweed

I am trying to find some fragrant plants for my garden, however I am pretty picky about the actual fragrance. But just so I can correctly ask what types of fragreance I'm looking for I could use some help in categorizing some of the fragrances for comparison.

I am a huge sucker for the sweet scent of Mock Orange and Star Jasmine or Sambac. Lilac also but I don't find it as sweet as Jasmine or Mock Orange but moreso a sweet/spicy?

I tend to favor the sweet smells that waft in the air and can be smelled from distance. I don't know that I like the smell of roses and would lump Roses and Fragrant Phlox into the same category, unless theres a sweet Rose out there that I haven't encountered yet.

Can anyone reccommend sweet fragrances like Jasmine or Mock Orange? These scents are abbolutely irresistable to me! I am in zone 5a Madison and would like as many reccomendations as possible for both outdoors and indoors.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Categorizing Fragrance

Daphne 'Carol Mackie' had a wonderful yard fiiling scent for me. The plant lasted about 7 years and then just died for no apparent reason (which they tend to do). Nicotiana sylvestris (straight species) has an Easter lily scent in the evening that carries well also.

tj

o

Milkweed smells like vanilla to me.
Lilac and sweet william and pinks have a clove/spicey scent. Pondy

o

I think I'm looking for plant tha have a strong sweet scent that will waft in the air. Lilac is great, I also just recently discovered Summersweet and the fragrance is quite strong. Does anyone have any experience growing this in the Madison area? Any other reccomendation for strong smelling plants? I have currently a Star Jasmine and a baby Mock Orange. Summersweet is on the way...

I am very very tempted to find some Japanese Honeysuckle for container growing but I fear that it would be frowned upon since I've read how invasive it is. On the other hand I read other posts in which people have been able to control it with constant attention, would it work in a container?

o

Since one method of spreading for Japanese Honeysuckle is by critters dispersing the seed you'd have make sure no seeds formed.

As for Summersweet, part shade and somewhat acidic soil seems to be what finally has mine coming around (outside Milwaukee).

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here