Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blank slate...

Posted by daisybelle1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 15:57

Hello,
I have moved to a small light gray traditional Cape Cod house and the first thing I did was rip out the shrubs in front of the railing of the front porch. So I have a blank slate to start with my pereninals. It is in the full sun until around 1:30 in the afternoon. I have bought, but haven't planted, 2 Joe Pye Weed, a few of the new faded orange colored cone flowers and blue delphiniums. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any ideas as I do appreciate them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blank slate...

These are just some suggestions:
-Helenium (here is picture of my 'Mardi Gras' which I just love. But they also come in all red or all yellow)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
-Oriental Lilies back of border close to railing so you can smell them!
-Balloon Flowers also can add blue to the garden
-Bee Balm for red colors
-Hostas in front of border (can take morning sun)
-Bulbs for spring color
-Maybe an aster or mums for fall color
-Dark burgandy heucheras to compliment the gray house

I could go on and on, but I am sure others have some suggestions also!
Jen

o

Sedum looks good all year long.
Neat clumps of succulent leaves grow all summer. Then in late summer and into fall they flower in shades of white, pink, rose, red or burgundy. After they finish flowering, you can leave the stems w/seedheads stand for winter interest.

My favorite Sedum is 'Matrona', because it never flops.

Julie

o

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here