Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery guest

Posted by pondwelr z5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 16:13

All day today, my dog and I could hear stuff falling and bumping around in the garage. Some animal got trapped in there, and I dont know what. Finally, after opening the
garage door for a lengthy time, it is quiet. Whatever it was had a pretty chirriping sound, and I assume it was quite big, considering the mess in the garage. Anyone have an idea of what?

I knew it was hiding in one of those green tugs that are tall, and have handles. I'm ashamed to say that I was afraid to look. However, it gave the lovliest trilling
sound when threatened by my small barking dog.

So far, I have had racoons, possums, and red fox in and around the yard. Also tons of deer. Just can't figure out
what this critter was. Any ideas from fellow wisconsites?
Pondy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery guest

I would say a racoon. They get into everything and chatter quite a bit. He was probably having a good old time!

o

I think its a prarie dog...it the little critters that dig holes in/under your lawn but look like chipmunks. I'm almost positive thats what it is because I have one that digs holes all over my yard and chirps like a bird whenever im near (Im pretty sure this is to notify its family/friends). They will definitely get into stuff as I'll always catch it trying to climb up my eavestrough or going through my garage. I've never heard a raccon chirp or trill and I think a raccoon would be able to muscle its way out of a garbage bin just IMO...

o

Here's a link to some raccoon sounds(scroll down the page), maybe something will sound familiar...

Here is a link that might be useful: raccoon sounds

o

Yes, noinwi, it could well be a racoon. perhaps a baby one

When my neice had a guinea pig, it made some similar happy
chirps and noises.

I'm an old grannie, and think I've seen and heard it all, but am bolloxed by those sounds I heard. Remember Occams Razor, tho. Always look for the simplest answer.
So far, it hasn't returned. Thanks so much, Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here